Construction managers in the residential construction field focus on more than building a home. They manage schedules, market their services, and negotiate with home buyers and with contractors. People skills are an important trait for these professionals in addition to understanding the building process.
When you major in residential construction management at Purdue University, you will gain experience in all facets of the home-building process. From estimating to scheduling and from contractor coordination to material selection, you will build a strong foundation of knowledge to be successful in the industry. This major is offered by the School of Construction Management Technology.
Meet our faculty, many of whom have industry experience.
- Gain valuable work experience when you participate in the national Residential Construction Student Competition in Las Vegas (you’ll earn academic credit, too)
- Take advantage of networking opportunities with the Builders Association of Greater Lafayette
- Work alongside students majoring in interior design and computer graphics
- Use your construction knowledge to volunteer with local organizations, such as Habitat for Humanity and the Humane Society
- Gain valuable experience as you complete 800 hours of on-site construction work as part of your graduation requirements
- Take advantage of the program’s contacts within the industry during career fairs and special events on campus