The School of Engineering Technology at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, has a full-time opening as a Lab Engineering.
Interested candidates should apply at www.purdue.edu/hr/careers and search for job number: 1400657.
This position is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the KNOY 258 Integrated Manufacturing Laboratory and the KNOY 102 Introductory Controls Laboratory. The Automation Specialist helps design and implements systems for course and laboratory improvement, assists in the writing of proposals for sponsored projects, supervises student workers and provides technical support to the students and faculty. This position exists to assure smooth operation of the equipment and systems in the Integrated Manufacturing and Introductory controls laboratories. Additionally, this position works with the faculty to assure the coordination of class and non-class activities in these laboratory facilities.
- BA/BS Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or closely related.
- Two years of experience in Manufacturing / industrial experience in automation, robotics, control or related field of which includes efficiency with the use of pneumatics and hydraulics.
- Knowledge of safety protocols and procedures, integration of computer-automated equipment including robots, and manufacturing communication networks.
- Understanding of the AC and DC electrical power, wiring, protocols and procedures.
- Experience with Setting up, troubleshooting, and programming of: PLCs and other industrial control devices or, CAD/CAM/CNC systems, or machining centers and machine tools, or industrial robots, or computer, networking, and related IT hardware and software.
- Strong oral and written communication.
- Ability to delegate, supervise and follow-up.
- Ability to analyze and interpret University policies and procedures.
- Excellent customer service skills and professionalism in dealing with students, faculty and staff.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and build work relationships among a diverse workforce at all levels.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Motivated individual with ability to efficiently multi task, work under pressure, handle interruptions and meet deadlines.
- Ability to identify and determine problems, analyze information and implement solutions.
- Capable of taking initiative, assuming responsibility and handling confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must possess a learning orientation to changing technology.
- Proficiency in software: Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook / Electronic email and calendar.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience in industrial electronics and sensors including wiring of sinking and sourcing controls circuits.
- Knowledge of Manufacturing networks and communications including: DI/DO, RS-232 and RS-485 Serial, Device Net, Data Highway+, Remote I/O, ProfiBus, Ethernet and Ethernet IP.
- A background check will be required for employment in this position.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Non-exempt Defined Contribution Plan
- Purdue University is an equal opportunity, equal access, affirmative action employer.