Gary R. Bertoline is Dean of the Purdue Polytechnic Institute, a Distinguished Professor in the Department of Computer Graphics Technology, and a Professor of Computer & Information Technology. Prior to becoming dean, he served as Associate Dean for Graduate Studies in the College of Technology. From 1995 through 2002, Gary served as Department Head of Computer Graphics Technology at Purdue University. He received the Ph.D. degree in technology from The Ohio State University in 1987, MEd from Miami University, and BS degree from Northern Michigan University. Prior to joining the faculty at Purdue, he served three years as a faculty member in the College of Engineering and Department of Engineering Graphics at The Ohio State University. He is currently a member of Epsilon Pi Tau, SIGGRAPH, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), and ATMAE.
Gary has presented over 100 papers at professional conferences in North America, Australia, and Europe. He has authored numerous papers in journals and trade publications on engineering and computer graphics, CAD, and visualization research. His research interests are in virtual reality and measuring and improving spatial cognition in humans. He has authored and co-authored eight text books in the areas of computer-aided design and engineering design graphics. Currently, Gary is the engineering and technical graphics series advisor for McGraw Hill Publishing Company. Gary serves on the Journal for Geometry and Graphics, Journal of Terrestrial Observation, and has served on the Board of Review for The Engineering Design Graphics Journal. Nationally and internationally, the candidate has served in a number of roles including the planning committee that led to the formation of the International Society for Geometry and Graphics, elected Chair of the Engineering Design Graphics division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
- Donaldson, S., Bertoline G. R. (2010). Utilization of a graduate advisory committee for supporting and retaining graduate students to improve the academic experience and increase graduation rates. 2010 CIEC Conference, Engineering Technology Division, Feb. 3-5, 2010, Palm Springs, CA.
- Chandramouli, M., Bertoline, G. R., Abe Harris, L. (2009). PC-based photorealistic virtual environments to facilitate construction design and nondestructive testing. 2009 ASEE Conference, Austin, TX.
- Bertoline, G. R., and Schuver, M. (2009). Center for professional studies in engineering technology. 2009 ASEE Conference, Austin, TX.
- Bertoline, G. R. (2009). Applied and use-insprired researchfor engineering technology: A rationale for defining a research domain. 2009 ASEE Conference, Austin, TX.
- Hacker, T., Bertoline, G. R. (2008). A Curriculum for Petascale Computing. TeraGrid 2008 Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- V. Sundaram, Y. Ru, B. Benes, L. Zhao, X. C. Song, T. Park, G. Bertoline, M. Huber. An Integrated System for Near Real-Time 3D Visualization of NEXRAD Level II Data Using TeraGrid. TeraGrid 2008 Conference, Las Vegas, NV, June 9-13, 2008.
- Sarapin, M., Hartman, N., and Bertoline, G. R. (2007). Advancing graduate education in a college of technology context. National Associate of Industrial Technology Conference, Panama City, FL.
- Bertoline, G. R. (2007). A history of Computer-aided Design. Invited presentation at the Catia Operators Exchange (COE) Annual PLM Conference Develop & Deploy Workshop, Las Vegas, NV.
- Bertoline, G. R., (2006). Cyberinfrastructure and Learning for Gen-Z. Invited presentation to North Carolina State University’s Friday Institute for Educational Innovation series; Voice of Innovation Research Series.
- Bertoline, G. R. (2006). Developing TeraGrid Campus Partnerships. Fall 2006 Internet2 Member Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Bertoline, G. R. (2006). Cyberinfrastructure Learning Environments for Gen-Z. SC06 Conference, Education Program, Tampa, FL.
- Bertoline, G. R., Lathrop, S., Catlett, C. E. (2006). TeraGrid Campus Partnerships. NCSA Workshop – Enabling Minority Serving Institutions to be Cyberinfrastructure Resource Providers. NCSA, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL.
- Rogers, T. J., Benes, B., & Bertoline, G. R. (2006). Towards a ModularNetwork-Distributed Mixed-Reality Learning Space System. Paper presented at the International Symposium on Visual Computing.
- Depew, D., Latif, N., Bertoline, G. R., Keating, D., Stanford, T., Dunlap, D., Tricamo, S., McHenry, A., DeLoatch, E., Palmer, H., Bennett, R., Noori, M., Snellenberger, J., Turesdale, S. (2006). Faculty reward system reform: Beginning phase II – revisiting the need for university change to advance professional graduate education for engineering practice and technology leadership. 2006 ASEE Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Keating, D., Stanford, T., Bardo, J., Dunlap, D., Depew, D., Latif, N., Bertoline, G. R., Tricamo, S., McHenry, A., DeLoatch, E., Palmer, H., Noori, Mohammad, Bennett, R;, Snellenberger, J., and Truesdale, S. (2006). Faculty reward system reform: Beginning phase II – Setting criteria for professionally oriented faculty in engineering and technology. 2006 ASEE Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Hartman, N., Connolly, P. E., Gilger, J. W., Bertoline, G. R., and Heisler, J. M. (2006). Virtual Reality-based Spatial Skills Assessment and Its Role in Computer Graphics Education. ACM/SIGGRAPH 2006 Conference and Exhibition, Boston, MA.
- Bertoline, G. R., Hoffmann, C. M., Bohlmann, N., Sharp, D., and Latimer, D. (2006). Northwest Indiana Computational Grid (NWICG). TeraGrid ’06 Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Madhavan, K.P.C., Goasguen, S., Bertoline, G.R., & Klimeck, G. (May 2006). Revolutionizing science and education through cyberinfrastructure. Presentation at the Exploratorium Brown Bag Series, San Francisco, CA.
- Dorjgotov, E., Choi, S., Dunlop, S. R., and Bertoline, G. R. (2006). Portable Haptic Display for Large Immersive Virtual Environments, 14th Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environments and Teleoperator Systems, Arlington, VA.