Dr. Michael Kane is an Associate Professor of Computer Technology. Dr. Kane's teaching and scholarly interests include computational genomics, biotechnology, computational life sciences, and information systems in support of the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and life sciences industry. Dr. Kane has numerous peer-reviewed manuscripts, technical and editorial publications, book chapters and presentations, serves on the editorial advisory board of Genomics and Proteomics, and is a member of several technical and research societies.
- PhD (Molecular Pharmacology), Purdue University West Lafayette, IN, 1996.
- BS (Biological Sciences), Illinois State University Normal, IL, 1988.
- 2007 - Outstanding Non-Tenured Faculty Award, Department of Computer and Information Technology
- 2006 - Best Research Poster Award, Faculty Convocation, College of Technology
- 2006 - Outstanding Faculty in Discovery Award, College of Technology
- 2006 - Seed for Success Award, Purdue University
- 2005 - Best Research Poster Award, Faculty Convocation, College of Technology
- 2005 - Biomedical Informatics Course Fellowship, National Library of Medicine
- 1996 - Jenkins/Knevel Excellence in Research Award, School of Pharmacy
- 1995 - Purdue Research Foundation Fellowship
- 1989 - Abbott Laboratories Presidential Award
Refereed Articles and Conference Papers/Presentations/Abstracts
- Kane, M.D., Springer, J.A., and Sprague, J.E. (2008). Drug Safety Assurance through Clinical Genotyping: Near-Term Considerations for a System-Wide Implementation of Personalized Medicine. Personalized Medicine 5(4): 387-397.
- Kane, M.D., Springer, J.A., Iannotti, N.V., Gough, E.S., Johns, S.M., Schlueter, S.D. and Sepulve (2008). Identification of Development and Tissue-Specific Gene Expression in the Fathead Minnow Pimephales promelas, Rafinesque using Computational and DNA Microarray Methods. Journal of Fish Biology 72, 2341-2353.
- Zhang, M., Ouyang, Q., Stephenson, A., Kane, M.D., Salt, D., Prabhakar, S., Burgner, J., Buck, C. (2008). Interactive analysis of systems biology molecular expression data. BMC Systems Bioinformatics 2:23.
- Kane, M.D. and Summers, K.H. (2007). Challenges and opportunities in pharmacogenomics and therapeutics. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy 13(7): 607-608.
- Kane, M.D. and Brewer, J.L. (2007). An Information Technology Emphasis in Biomedical Informatics Education. Journal of Biomedical Informatics 40: 67-72.
- Kim, H., Kane, M.D., Kim, S., Dominguez, W., Applegate, B.M, and Savikhin, S. A (2007). Molecular Beacon DNA Microarray System for Rapid Detection of E. coli O157:H7 that Eliminates False Signal Risk. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 15:1041-1047.
- Perry, L., Heard, P., Kane, M., Kim, H., Savikhin, S., Dominguez, W., Applegate, B. (2007). Application of multiplex PCR to the detection of pathogens in food. Journal of Rapid Methods and Automation in Microbiology 15: 176-198.
- Kemp, M.Q., Liu, W., Thorne, P.A., Kane, M.D., Selmin, O., Romagnolo, D.F. (2006). Induction of the transferrin receptor gene by benzo[a]pyrene in breast cancer MCF-7 cells: Potential as a biomarker of PAH exposure. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 47: 518-526..
- Kane, M.D. (2005). Technical Issues in DNA Microarray Production and Utilization: Impact on Clinical Research.. Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics
- Kane, M.D. (2003). Meeting Highlights: 3rd International Symposium on Early Toxicity Screening: Early ADME-Tox Screening Approaches. Expert Opinion on Drug Safety
- Nagel, A.C., Thompson, J.D., Marino, M.A., and Kane, M.D (2003). Spanscript: A Novel Method for Deriving Non-Redundant 3’ cDNA Libraries for DNA Microarray Production. Hardiman, G, Microarray Methods and Applications: Nuts and Bolts
- Kane, M.D., Lin, H-S, Dombkowski, A.A., Diakiw, A., Nagel, A.C., Flexon, A., Leifheit, M., Sprague, (2003). Accelerating Preclinical Drug Development Using A Microarray-Based Method for Detecting Oxidative Enzyme (P450) mRNA Induction and Other Metabolic Genes in the Rat.. Hardiman, G, Microarray Methods and Applications: Nuts & Bolts
- Kane, M.D. (2002). Aligning experimental design with bioinformatics analysis to meet research objectives.. Cytometry
- Kane, M.D., Dombkowski, A.A., and Madore, S.J. (2002). The Emerging Utility of Oligonucleotide Microarrays. Lu, Q. and Weiner, M., Gene Cloning and Expression Technologies
- Kane, M.D. (2001). Screening for xenobiotic-mediated P450 induction using a dedicated DNA microarray protocol.. Journal of Clinical Ligand Assay
- Sprague, J.E., Worst, T.J., Haynes, K., Mosler, C.R., Nichols, D.E. and Kane, M.D. (2001). The pharmacodynamic characterization of an antisense oligonucleotide against monoamine oxidase-B (MAO-B) in rat brain striatal tissue.. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology
- Kane, M.D. and Pisano, M. (2001). Outsourcing genomic and proteomic technology: A value-added solution.. Helix
- Kane, M.D., Lipinski, W.J., Callahan, M.J., Bian, F., Durham, R.A., Schwarz, R.D. Roher, A.E. and Wa (2000). Evidence for seeding of b-amyloid by intracerebral infusion of Alzheimer brain extracts in b-amyloid precursor protein-transgenic mice. Journal of Neuroscience
- Kane, M.D., Jatkoe, T.A., Stumpf, C.R., Lu, J., Thomas, J.D, and Madore, S.J. (2000). Assessment of the sensitivity and specificity of oligonucleotide microarrays. Nucleic Acids Research
- Kane, M.D., Schwarz, R.D., St. Pierre, L., Watson M.D., Emmerling, M.R., Boxer, P.A., and Walker, G. (1999). Inhibitors of V-type ATPases, bafilomycin A1 and concanamycin A, protect against b-amyloid-mediated effects on 3-(4,5-Dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) reduction.. Journal of Neurochemistry
- Kane, M.D., Vanden Heuvel, J.P., Isom, G.E., and Schwarz, R.D. (1998). Differential expression of group I metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluRs) in PC12 cells: role of nerve growth factor and ras.. Neuroscience Letters
- Kane, M.D., Yang, C.W., Gunasekar, G. and Isom, G.E. (1998). Trimethyltin stimulates protein kinase C translocation through receptor-mediated phospholipase C activation in PC12 cells.. Journal of Neurochemistry
- Yan, S.D., Stern, D., Kane, M., Kuo, Y-M., Lampert, H.C., and Roher, A.E. (1998). RAGE-Ab interactions in the pathophysiology of Alzheimer disease.. Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience
- Pavlakovic, G., Kane, M.D., Eyer, C.L., Kanthasamy, A., and Isom, G.E. (1995). Activation of protein kinase C by trimethyltin: relevance to neurotoxicity.. Journal of Neurochemistry
- Sun, P., Borowitz, J.L., Kanthasamy, A.G., Kane, M. D., Gunasekar, P.G., and Isom, G.E. (1995). Antagonism of cyanide toxicity by isosorbide dinitrate: possible role of nitric oxide.. Toxicology
2002-2004 - Nucleico, LLC
President and Co-Founder
2000-2002 - Genomic Solutions, Inc.
Vice President of Research and Development
1998-2000 - Parke-Davis Pharmaceuticals
1996-1998 - Parke-Davis Pharmaceuticals
1988-1991 - Abbott Laboratories