Mary Sadowski was dean of Purdue Extended Campus from September 2011 until July 2015, where she managed conference activities and online courses and programs across the campus. Currently she is a professor of Computer Graphics in the Polytechnic Institute (formerly College of Technology) where her primary role is working with faculty across the college to ensure their success.
Before her appointment as dean, she was an associate dean in the College of Technology where she still holds an appointment as professor of computer graphics technology. While in the college, Sadowski provided leadership for the college's strategic initiatives in undergraduate education and served as coordinator of accrediting activities and initiatives, scholarships, and enrollment management.
Dr. Sadowski has taken an active role in developing a university wide component of Service Engagement and Learning to expand learner-centered, interdisciplinary, and experiential opportunities for students and promote personal growth, leadership, real-world problem solving, career development, and citizenship. She was also a member of the Purdue Discovery Learning Task Force whose primary task is to explore futuristic technologies and strategies for teaching excellence. Prior to becoming an associate dean, Dr. Sadowski was a full professor at both Purdue University and Arizona State University, and currently holds an appointment in the Computer Graphics Department. Her specialty is Computer and Technical Graphics and she has taught a variety of courses including CAD, Web Design, Animation, and Creative Thinking. Her research interests include concept inventories, enhancing visualization skills and creative thinking. She has published over 45 papers, presented over 45 technical papers, 12 workshops, and 4 textbooks.
Ph.D. Instructional Research and Design, Purdue University
M.A. Education, The Ohio State University
B.S. Art Education, Bowling Green State University
2014 - American Society for Engineering Education Fellow
2010 - Violet Hass Award for Outstanding efforts on the behalf of women
2010 - Win Henschel Award for Distinguished Service, YWCA of Greater Lafayette
2005 - Distinguished Service Award, Engineering Design Graphics Division of ASEE
2005 - Orthogonal Medal for Distinguished Service in Graphic Science,North Carolina State University
2004-05 - CIC (Committee on Institutional Cooperation) – Academic Leadership Program
2004 - Greater Lafayette YWCA Point of Light Award
2004 - Chair’s Award for best paper at the ASEE Annual Conference, EDG Division
2003 - Women of Purdue Mortar Board Honoree
2001 - Oppenheimer Award for Best Paper at the ASEE/EDGD MidYear Meeting
1999 - Purdue University Book of Great Teachers
1997,98,99 - Purdue nominee for the Carnegie National Professor of the Year Award
1997 - Founding Fellow of the Purdue University Teaching Academy
1997 - Charles B. Murphy Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching
1993-94 - School of Technology Outstanding Teaching Award
1993 - Centennial Certificate of Service to ASEE
1990 - Best Paper Award, North Central Section of the ASEE
1986-87 - Technical Graphics Award for Undergraduate Teaching
- Sadowski, M.A., Sorby, S.A. (2013). Update on a Delphi Study for Developing a Concept Inventory for Engineering Design Graphics, Engineering Design Graphics Division 68th MidYear Meeting Proceedings,Worchester, MA.
- Sadowski, M.A., Birchman, J.A. (2012). The Role of Print, Web, and Social Media in Recruiting Fall 2011Students, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, San Antonio, TX.
- Sadowski, M.A., Sorby, S.A. (2012). A Delphi Study as a First Step in Developing a Concept Inventory for Engineering Graphics, Engineering Design Graphics Division 66th MidYear Meeting Proceedings ,Galveston, TX.
- Sadowski, M.A., Birchman, J.A. (2012). The Role of Print, Web, and Social Media in Recruiting Fall 2010 Students, Engineering Design Graphics Division 66th MidYear Meeting Proceedings ,Galveston, TX.
- Sadowski*, M.A., Connolly, P. A. (2010). A Delphi Survey to Determine Name Change Possibilities for the Engineering Design Graphics Division, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Louisville, KY.
- Veurink*, N.L., Hamlin, A.J., Kampe, J.C., Sorby, S. A., Blasko, D.G., Holliday-Darr, K.A., J. D. Trich Kremer, J.D., Harris, L. V., Connolly, P.E, Sadowski, M.A., Harris, K.S., Brus, C.P., Boyle, L.N., Study, N.E., Knott, T.W. (2009) Enhancing Visualization Skills-Improving Options aNd Success (EnViSIONS), Engineering Design Graphics Journal.73 (2).
Harris*, K.S ., Harris, L.V., & Sadowski, M. A., (2009). Measuring Spatial Visualization in in a High School Bridge Program. Engineering Design Graphics Division 64th MidYear Meeting Proceedings, Erie, PA.
Sadowski, M.A., (2009) Recruiting females to STEM through Cheerleading and Dance. Engineering. Design Graphics Division 64th MidYear Meeting Media Showcase, Erie, PA.
Harris*, K.S ., Harris, L.V., & Sadowski, M. A., (2009). Measuring Spatial Visualization in Pre-Service Technology and Engineering Education Teachers. Engineering Design Graphics Division 63rdh MidYear Meeting Proceedings, Berkeley, CA.
Sadowski, M.A., Sorby, S.A., (2008) A concept inventory for engineering graphics. 13th International Conference On Geometry And Graphics Proceedings, Dresden, Germany.
- Harris, L.V., Harris, K.S, & Sadowski, M. A., (2008). In Visualization, Modeling, and Graphics for Engineering Design, Chapter 21, Presentation of Engineering Data. Delmar Cengage Learning, ISBN-13:1-4018-4249-9 & ISBN-10:1-4018-4249-6.Sadowski, M. A., Birchman, J.A. & Harris, L.V., (2006) An Assessment of Graphics Faculty and Student Learning Styles. Engineering Design Graphics Journal. 70, (2).
- Harris, L.V., Sadowski, M. A., & Birchman, J.A. (2006) A Comparison of Learning Style Models and Assessment Instruments for University Graphics Educators. Engineering Design Graphics Journal.
- Harris, L. A., Sadowski, M. A., & Birchman J. A. (2005). The Leap from Teacher to Teacher-Scholar: The Quest for Research in Non-Traditional Fields. Engineering Design Graphics Journal 69, (2).
- Harris, L. A. & Sadowski, M. A.(2003) Graph Etiquette: A Paradigm for Presenting Technical Data. Visual Communication Journal. Spring, 51-62. Sadowski, M. A. (2002) Evaluation of Teams within the Academic Setting. Engineering Design Graphics Journal 67, (2).
- Sadowski, M. A. (2002) Ensuring the Viability of the Engineering Design Graphics Division for the next 50 years: A brainstorming activity. Engineering Design Graphics Journal, 67, (1).
- Sadowski, M. A., Birchman, J.A. & Harris, L.V., (2005) An Assessment of Graphics Faculty and Student Learning Styles. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition Proceedings, Portland, OR.. cd-rom.
- Sadowski, M. A. & Birchman, J.A., (2005). Stategies for Bridging Learning Styles. Engineering. Design Graphics Division 60th MidYear Meeting Proceedings, Ft Lauderdale, FL.
- Kelley, D. & Sadowski, M.A., (2005) Peer Evaluation within a Team Design. Engineering. Design Graphics Division 60th MidYear Meeting Proceedings, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.