As the College of Technology’s May 2014 graduates move into their careers, we are profiling a few and finding out their future plans and how they arrived at this point in their lives.
Jessica Theuerl, South Bend, Indiana
Catapult Rotation Program for ExactTarget in Indianapolis, Ind.
Bachelor’s degree in computer graphics technology with a concentration in user experience (UX) and a minor in computer and information technology
The Catapult Program at ExactTarget is a unique opportunity for recent graduates to find where they fit best within a company. I am given the opportunity to rotate through three positions in nine months to find my best fit within the company. After the nine months, I will be assigned my full-time role and move onto the team for the duration of my employment.
- Rotation 1: User Experience Design Studio - Research
- Rotation 2: Solutions Designer
- Rotation 3: User Experience Design Studio - Interaction Designer
Purdue classes that helped Jessica prepare for her job
- Human Factors Of Computer Interface Design
- Human Computer Interface Theory and Design
- Principles of Interactive and Dynamic Media
- Contemporary Problems In Applied Computer Graphics
- Professional Practices
Other ways the College of Technology and/or Purdue provided preparation and assistance
- The career fairs that are hosted by both the College of Technology and the College of Engineering helped prepare me for my job search. I started going to these fairs my freshman year and learned how to properly communicate with recruiters. Every year I walked away with more and more interviews, and eventually, I scored five amazing job offers for after graduation.
- The faculty in the College of Technology have been extremely supportive. There is always someone who is willing to help you in school and guide you with encouragement.
- Women in Technology was an amazing club that I joined my freshman year. The community was a great encouragement and everyone was very passionate about their industry. These women helped me through college and I could not thank them enough.
Thanks go to:
- My family and fiancé for helping me reach my dreams. They always have supported me and believed in me. I can not thank them enough!
- My friends for being an amazing support system and always great resources for encouragement.
- The entire CGT faculty and staff. Without this program I am not sure if I would have ever found what I love to do. Toni Munguia, a wonderful woman who helped me evolve throughout my four years at Purdue; Katie Lawson for convincing me to go to a Women in Technology meeting and being a great encourager throughout my four years; Kelli Tynan for always being a great support system in CGT, from the moment I met you at STAR to the moment you sat directly behind me at graduation; Mihaela Vorvoreanu, an amazing professor who is very engaged with her students, and who sparked interest in what I wanted to do for the rest of my life (UX Unicorn); and Terry Burton for the amazing opportunity to evolve everything I learned into my senior capstone.