Kitty Campbell currently serves as a Visiting Scholar for the School of Aviation and Transportation Technology at Purdue University. Campbell received her doctoral degree from Purdue University in human factors in aviation in 2006. Her research focuses on aeronautical communication and aviation English.
As an Assistant Visiting Professor of Aviation Technology from 2006-2008, Campbell taught Analysis of Research in Industry and Technology, Aviation Law, Aviation Professional Issues, Aviation Safety Problems, Aviation Security, and the Aviation Technology Research Design and Methodology Graduate Seminar.
In 2006, Campbell served as a postdoctoral researcher for the Partnership for AiR Transportation Noise and Emission Reduction (PARTNER) FAA/NASA/TC sponsored Center of Excellence.
Campbell is an instrument rated pilot, certified manager of the American Association of Airport Executives, and judge for the National Intercollegiate Flying Association. She is a member of the University Aviation Association, Ninety Nines, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, Experimental Aircraft Association, and Women in Aviation International.
- Campbell-Laird, K. (2006). Pedagogical approaches to aviation phraseology and communication training in collegiate flight programs. Collegiate Aviation Review, 24 (1), 25-41.
- Campbell-Laird, K. (2004). Aviation English: A review of the language of international civil aviation. In J. Williams (Ed.), International Professional Communication Conference (pp. 253-261). Pitscataway, NJ: Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
- October 19, 2007, University Aviation Association Fall Education Conference: San Jose, California – Research Roundtable: Team Assignment: Random, Selective, or Purposeful.
- September 28, 2006, University Aviation Association Fall Education Conference: Anchorage, Alaska – Pedagogical Approaches to Aviation Phraseology and Communication Training in Collegiate Flight Programs.
- October 9, 2004, University Aviation Association Fall Education Conference: Toronto, Ontario, Canada – Communications Across Borders.
- September 30, 2004, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. International Professional Communication Conference: Minneapolis, Minnesota – Assessing the Language of International Civil Aviation.
- September 2, 2004, International Civil Aviation Organization Aviation Language Symposium: Montreal, Quebec, Canada – English Language Testing in the Context of Aviation English.
- October 1, 2003, International Aviation Training Symposium: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – Aviation English: Are Communications Up in the Air?
- October 2, 2003, International Aviation Training Symposium: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – Aviation English: Special Topic Panel Discussion
- October 19, 2002, International Association of World Englishes Conference: Urbana, Illinois – The Aviation English Debate: WE or ESP in the Air?
- March 4, 2002, First Annual Aviation Communications Conference: Phoenix, Arizona – The Emerging Landscape of Aviation Security: A Panel Discussion of Communication Factors Contributing to the Safety and Security of Operating in the Aviation Industry.
- 2009 Aviation Accreditation Board International Summer Meeting: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2009 National Training Aircraft Symposium: ERAU Daytona, Florida
- 2008 University Aviation Association Fall Education Conference: Denver, Colorado
- 2008 Aviation Accreditation Board International Winter Meeting: Mesa, Arizona
- 2007 University Aviation Association Fall Education Conference: San Jose, California
- 2007 Women in Aviation International Conference: Orlando, Florida.
- 2006 University Aviation Association Fall Education Conference:Anchorage, Alaska.
- 2005 University Aviation Association Fall Education Conference: Champaign, Illinois.
- 2005 Council on Aviation Accreditation Summer Meeting: London, Ontario, Canada.
- 2005 Council on Aviation Accreditation Winter Meeting: Atlanta, Georgia.
- 2003 University Aviation Association Fall Education Conference: Dayton, Ohio.
- 2003 Midwest Association of Language Testers Conference: West Lafayette, Indiana.
- 2003 Ninety-Nines Southwest Section Meeting: Columbia, California.
- 2003 Women in Aviation International Conference: Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2002 Women in Aviation International Conference: Nashville, Tennessee.
- 2001 Women in Aviation International Conference: Reno, Nevada
Reviewer for Academic Journals
- Collegiate Aviation Review: University Aviation Association
- International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies: Federal Aviation Administration
- Language Testing: Sage Publications