Flight Costs and Fees

Flight Fees:
Refer to our page: Fees under Aviation Technology Flight Training Fees 
Other University Fees:
For questions regarding University Tuition, In-State vs. Out-of-State costs, room and board, and other university fees, please refer to the Purdue Bursar’s page.

Students Coming to School with a Private Pilot’s Certificate

Is there an advantage?
Depending on each individual situation, a student coming in with their Private Pilot’s Certificate can be either an advantage or disadvantage. The only real difference is cost. Sometimes it is more cost efficient for a student to get their certificate from Purdue or an outside flight school. It is ultimately up to the student.
What is the benefit?
A student coming in with their Private Pilot’s Certificate will receive credit for the Private Pilot Flight Lab (AT 145) and will be placed in the Instrument Flight course (AT 25302) of their curriculum. Students with a Private Pilot Certificate will be able to take a test-out exam offered at the end of Boiler Gold Rush in order to receive credit for Private Pilot Ground Lectures (AT 144) and earn those credits towards their degree.
What is the test out process?

Friday before classes start, students take a written exam that covers the material delivered during AT 144. While the test does have some similarity to the Private Pilot Written, the depth of the material goes beyond the requirements of that FAA exam. Students should review the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Aeronautical Information Manual in preparation for the AT 144 test out exam.


What Medical does Purdue require for flight students?
Purdue requires that students have at least a Third Class Medical upon starting the flight program; however, we recommend that students get a First Class Medical before starting the program.
Why do you recommend a First Class Medical?
A First Class Medical is required for pilots to fly in all airlines; we recommend that students take one prior to their flight training to make sure they do not have any medical conditions that could disqualify them from flying with airlines.
Where do you get a Medical?
From an FAA-designated Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). They can be found on this website: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/resp...

R-ATP (Restricted ATP)

What is ATP?
ATP is an acronym for Airline Transport Pilot (Certificate), which is the certificate required for an individual to fly for airlines. In order for a student to get an ATP, 1500 hours of flight time are required.
Will students receive their ATP at Purdue?
No. Once hired at an airline after graduation, ATP training is set up and provided by the airline.
What is R-ATP?
R-ATP stands for Restricted ATP, which is a privilege offered to Purdue’s Pro Flight Program by the FAA. R-ATP allows pilots who graduate from our training program to obtain their ATP certificate in 1000 hours rather than 1500.
How can a student lose their R-ATP?
A student can lose their R-ATP privileges by training for their instrument rating or commercial certificate outside of Purdue or before they start our program. The only training which is allowed to be earned at a different flight school is the Private Pilot’s Certificate.

Order of Classes

What classes does a student need to take?
Purdue offers a general plan of study starting with Private Pilot through Turbine Flight along with other required aviation courses which can be found under the “Plan of Study” tab on the Purdue Professional Flight homepage. However, this is on a case-by-case basis and can be different for every student. Students will work with an academic advisor every semester starting the summer before their first year to plan out their semester and four-year schedules.


What kind of Training Aircraft does Purdue have?
Purdue has a fleet of 18 Piper Archers, 2 Piper Seminoles, and a Super Decathlon for CFI spin training.
When will students fly a certain aircraft?
  • Piper Archer
    Used for Private Pilot Certificate training, instrument ratings, the Commercial Certificate, as well as all solo flights throughout training.
  • Piper Seminoles
    Students earn their multiengine rating in this aircraft.
  • Super Decathlon
    Students who enroll in Purdue's CFI class will complete spin training in this aircraft.

Transportation To/From the Airport

How do students get around?
First-year students are typically not allowed to have a car on campus. Purdue provides a free bus system to students all over campus, including a loop between the dorms and the airport. Sophomores and higher may be eligible for a parking pass.
Is the bus reliable?
The bus runs consistently between the dorms and the airport from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and completes its loop approximately every 10 minutes.

Transferring Into/Out of Pro Flight

Can I transfer/CODO into the Professional Flight Technology major?
CODO transfers are determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the number of students already admitted. Students may also have other majors while still training at Purdue Aviation LLC, which is a fixed-base operations center on the field separate from the University.

Required Technology

What technology is required for flight students?
Students will receive a Flight Packet in the mail with information on technology necessary for flight courses. An iPad, or a device that runs Apple's iOS software, is recommended but not required until AT 210 (Instrument Flight Trainer I) in the student’s first year or sophomore year. When it comes to laptops, it is up to the student’s personal preference.
Where are classes?
All flight labs are located at the Purdue University Airport in hangar 6West. All aviation courses which are not flight labs take place in the Niswonger building, with the exception of a few courses with large class sizes which may take place on the main campus.

Non-aviation courses will take place on Purdue’s main campus.


What are the facilities like?
The Purdue University Airport is the first University-owned airport and is located on the south side of campus, across Highway 231. Education buildings at the airport include the Niswonger building with AET labs, classrooms, lecture halls, and computer labs. The terminal building hosts the Engine Lab and Aviation Library. Flight labs and discussions take place in hangar 6West, and CFIs work there as well. The Holleman-Niswonger Simulator building houses all simulators for instruction.