CGT Work Experience Requirements
The Polytechnic Institute requires internships or other workforce-like activities as part of the formal plans of study. These real-world experiences will help expose students to the expectations of their profession prior to graduation. This may occur through industry work experience, community service, professional practice courses, research assistantships, et cetera. In order to complete the CGT professional work experience requirement for graduation, students must complete one of the approved options below.
Options to complete
The most common path to fulfill graduation work experience requirements is through professional internships. The CGT department recognizes validated work experiences through (1) professional internships which are not for credit, (2) internships for credit through TECH39699 Professional Practice course, and/or (3) for alternate options that require approval which may include possible credit taken through other departments or through course request. See *Alternate options below.
All internships must be verified and reported to your academic advisor.
Complete professional or volunteer internship at company.
- Complete about 240 hours of work related to your field of study.
- Submit the CGT work verification form online.
Advisor approves the internship based on;
- review of supervisor responses, and
- verification of hours and overall quality of the work experience.
Internship course (TECH39699), more info at CGT Internships information
BEFORE COURSE: Find and apply to internship opportunities related to your field of study and receive internship offer,
- complete TECH39699 application survey,
- submit required documentation to work experience coordinator, and wait for approval.
- Once approved, register for TECH39699 and notify advisor to set credits to 0 or 3. This is a Pass/No Pass course only.
DURING COURSE: Complete course learning outcomes, including but not limited to;
- complete required hours (approximately 240 hours of professional work),
- submit course requirements, and
- get supervisor verification of hours and overall quality of the work experience.
- AFTER COURSE: Receive a passing grade and confirm completion with your advisor.
- BEFORE COURSE: Find and apply to internship opportunities related to your field of study and receive internship offer,
*If you are unable to obtain an internship, you may request approval through other departments or through course request to use one of the alternate experiences below. ALL options below will require approval through your advisor and/or your faculty supervisor. Requests for course approvals should be submitted to the CGT Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Chair for consideration, allowing at least four academic weeks for review and response.
Take 2 courses that are related to your field of study, confirm with your advisor when signing up. More info about registering for EPICS courses.
All options below require approval and must be coordinated with a faculty supervisor.
An advisor can approve based on documentation of service. This can include; ROTC completion, reservist, active duty, veteran.