|1/27||Purdue University: Part II: 2019-2020 Laboratory and University Core Facility Research Equipment Program (Final Applications, between $100,000 and $1,000,000)|
|2/21||Discovery Park Undergraduate Research Internship (DURI) Program (Summer 2020 Faculty Proposal Deadline)|
|3/23||PRF Summer Faculty Grant (faculty summer support)|
|3/30||PRF Research Grant (0.5 FTE Graduate Research Assistantship)|
|3/25||Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) Scholar Application ($1,000 scholarships)|
|3/16||Discovery Park Undergraduate Research Internship (DURI) Program (Summer 2020 Student Deadline)|
|4/20||Polytechnic Undergraduate Internship Application|
|4/14 - 4/15||Purdue Undergraduate Research Conference|
|6/15||Discovery Park Undergraduate Research Internship (DURI) Program (Fall 2020 Faculty Proposal Deadline)|
|7/31||Discovery Park Undergraduate Research Internship (DURI) Program (Fall 2020 Student Deadline)|
- Grants.gov is designed to enable federal grant-making agencies to create funding opportunities and enable applicants to find and apply for these federal grants. Funding opportunities can be searched through many filters on this webpage including keyword, agency, and posted date.
- NOTE: There is one E-business point of contact per organization. At Purdue, this means that any applications to federal agencies must be processed through Sponsored Program Services.
- Pivot is a search tool that uses a proprietary algorithm to match Purdue researcher profiles to current funding opportunities within the Community of Science (COS) database. This database includes funding opportunities from organizations including state and federal governments and foundations.
- The program gives researchers the ability to identify funding opportunities, stay abreast of any changes to the documentation, and connect with other researchers, both within the Purdue community and globally.
- Foundation Center collects funding opportunities from non-profit organizations and foundations.
- Many of these opportunities are also searchable through the Pivot application.
Graduate fellowships (a small list)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- Department of Defense: National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Program
- National Institute of Justice: Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- Department of Energy: Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
- Department of Transportation: Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship Program (DDETFP) Graduate Fellowship
Post-doctoral fellowships (a small list)
- Jill Hruby Fellowship, Sandia National Laboratories
- National Science Foundation including Social Behavioral and Economic Sciences,
- Science and Technology Policy Fellowships, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and
- Research Associateship, National Research Council/National Academies
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Training
- Any faculty, staff and student that joins the Polytechnic after August 12, 2019, and is eligible to conduct research, is expected to complete RCR training within four months of the start date.
Use these instructions to access and complete the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)-RCR online course:
- Go to the CITI website, www.citiprogram.org and select "Register"
Select "Log In through my Institution"
- Enter in and select "Purdue University"
- Select "Continue to SSO Login/Instructions"
Under "Institutional Courses, and Purdue University, select "View Courses"
- Select "Add a Course"
Under "CITI Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)", Select the appropriate Learner Group
- Select "Submit"
- Complete Training
- Save a copy of your completion certificate for future reference (the Polytechnic can verify training as needed)
Resources to help write research proposals
- Purdue University has resources within Sponsored Program Services that help researchers prepare proposals for funding opportunities. This website provides a timeline for the Office of Sponsored Program Services to support you in your submission of proposals:
- Grant writing assistance is also provided through this office. Grant writers are housed within this office and can consult in writing small grant proposals for external funding and help develop high-value, high-complexity proposals representing multi-departmental and/or inter-institutional collaborations.
- Proposal Writing Resources is a webpage that provides boilerplate language for Purdue institutional resources and facilities and resources to build your data management plans, broader impacts, and leadership plans.
Develop your Strategic Research Plan
As research faculty, you have specific interests and expertise. It is important for you to create a strategy for your research endeavors. This may include determining and attending relevant conferences, engaging relevant program managers in external funding agencies (State of Indiana, federal agencies – NSF, DOE, DOD, DoEd, DOT, etc.), and finding collaborators who can expand the impact and reach of your research.
Develop 1-page proposal overviews
A 1-page description of a project you are looking to propose can serve many benefits. By writing through your thought process, you clarify your purpose, you produce a succinct overview that can be shared with potential collaborators and with program managers, and you produce a storyline that can be augmented or edited to become a future proposal.
This 1-page overview should answer four specific questions:
- What is the problem you’re trying to solve?
- What have other people done to try to solve this problem?
- What is the gap left between what other people have done and solving the problem?
- What do you propose to do to fill this gap?
Establish Prior Work
- For these 1-page proposal overviews, you will briefly highlight your plan to help solve a specific problem. When it comes time to write a full proposal, you will need to demonstrate your expertise in the field and describe any efforts you have already made to start solving this problem. Start collecting your thoughts on which pieces of prior work applies to each 1-page proposal overview. This exercise may even highlight low-hanging fruit that may be accomplished prior to submitting a full proposal.
- Share this work with a colleague and ask for feedback.
Engage externally to federal agencies, companies, state government, etc.
- The Purdue Polytechnic High Schools have created a process to handle requests to work with them. If you are interested in a partnership, please use this link to make contact.
- Learn more about Indiana representatives in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate
- Learn more about our elected representatives to the Indiana State Senate and House of Representatives and committees that align with your research interests
Purdue University is a national partner in ResearchMatch, a nonprofit online service to match people who would like to participate in research with open trials and research initiatives across the country. Volunteers of any age, race, ethnicity or health status are invited to join. Visit www.researchmatch.org to learn more.