The Product Lifecycle Management Center is an interdisciplinary research center at Purdue University. The center fuses the talents and resources of experts from the Purdue Polytechnic Institute, the colleges of Engineering and Science and Krannert School of Management into a single focused entity to serve as an industry resource. Through high technology-readiness-level (TRL) research, training and implementation of product lifecycle management, the center provides its partners in business and industry with knowledge and tools to improve their bottom line.
The PLM Center was initially founded in 2002 as part of the larger Center for Advanced Manufacturing in Purdue’s Discovery Park. Over recent years, the PLM Center has acquired additional corporate members, and has received larger increments of funding through other sources, such as SME, NIST, and NSF, to extend its research and education programs.
The PLM Center is a key partner for several national research initiatives:
- National Network for Manufacturing Innovation, including NextFlex: America’s Flexible Hybrid Electronics Manufacturing Institute and The Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation
- Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute (DMDII) in Chicago, Illinois
- Advanced Robotics Manufacturing Institute.
In an effort to develop relevant materials and resources for the current workforce, the PLM Center has been instrumental in creating continuing education programs in the PLM space.
Through the center, companies and employees have access to certificate programs in Product Lifecycle Management and model-based definition. These programs provide instruction that bridges the gap between management’s strategy for PLM and software-specific training. The courses have been taken by employees of several companies, including Boeing, Caterpillar, Mitutoyo and Booz Allen Hamilton. Participants who complete all modules receive continuing education credits. As a result of developing and deploying these programs, the PLM Center has also funded and architected a PLM infrastructure that attempts to parallel industrial installations in its breadth of tools and hardware.
The mission of Purdue University's Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Center of Excellence is to promote the advancement and implementation of PLM through research and education in partnership with industry.
The objectives of the Purdue PLM Center of Excellence are:
- Conducting research that promotes PLM as a methodology and practice
- Establishing industry partnerships that guide, support, and validate PLM research and education activities
- Promoting the evolution and use of model-based digital product data
- Promoting the use and development of tools and practices that emphasize the concept of a digital twin for products
- Promoting the author/consumer communication model around the use of digital product data
- Assisting with the integration of PLM into curriculum
- Facilitating the pursuit of PLM career opportunities by Purdue graduates
- Enabling PLM adoption by industry