Željko “Z” Torbica is Professor and former Head (2019-2022) of the School of Construction Management Technology at Purdue University. Dr. Torbica’s international experience of over 30 years includes both academic positions at several leading U.S. universities and an extensive and industry-recognized background in engineering, construction, real estate development, leadership and strategic planning. During the course of his career, Dr.Torbica has received a number of distinguished awards; served as the conference keynote speaker at international conferences; published articles in the most selective professional journals; directed real estate development operations, with projects ranging from $50 million to $550 million; served on prestigious Baldrige National Quality Award Board of Examiners; and completed leadership programs at Columbia University and Harvard University.
Dr.Torbica received a Ph.D. degree from the University of Florida. Dr. Torbica is a Fellow of American Society for Quality, Certified General Contractor in the state of Florida, and holds Project Management Professional (PMP) and Quality Engineer (QE) certifications.
Ph.D., University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida ● 1992-1997
Rinker School of Construction Management (Cumulative GPA=4.0)
DIPLOMA, B.Jupp & Partners, London, England ● 1989
Postgraduate study in Quantity Surveying and Project Management
University of Belgrade, Serbia ● 1986–1988
Graduate study in Construction Management
Dipl.Ing., University of Belgrade, Serbia ● 1981–1986
Major: Structural Engineering
Higher Education Management Development Program (MDP) ● Harvard, 2013
Executive Program “High Impact Leadership” ● Columbia University, 2008
Executive Real Estate Management Program “Developing Future Leaders” ● Harvard, 2007
Certified General Contractor (License #: CGC1508885) ● State of Florida
Project Management Professional - PMP (#53941) ● Project Management Institute (PMI)
Certified Quality Engineer - CQE (#35292) ● American Society for Quality (ASQ)
* Fellow of the American Society for Quality (ASQ) (2015)
* Outstanding Service Award, Drexel University CM Advisory Council (2013)
* Faculty Service and Leadership Award, Drexel University (2011)
* CABI Recognition Award (2008)
* Board of Examiners, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, NIST (2005)
* President’s Recognition Award, University of Florida (1996)
* Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement and Excellence, University of Florida (1995)
* The Honor Society of PHI KAPPA PHI
* The Honor Society of SIGMA LAMBDA CHI
* President, Montenegrin Cultural Society Njegoš - Florida (2002-2004)
KEYNOTE CONFERENCE SPEAKER:
* Torbica, Z.M. (2015) “Advancing undergraduate Construction Management education: lessons learned from the Engineering education (a U.S. perspective).” Eight International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-VIII), May 27-30, 2011, Thessaloniki, Greece.
* Torbica, Z.M. (2011) “Construction Industry: In Need of Radical Transformation?” Sixth International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-VI), “Construction Challenges in the New Decade”, July 5-7, 2011, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS - PROFESSIONAL JOURNALS:
* Surlan, N., Cekic, Z., and Torbica, Z.M. (2015) “Use of Value Management Workshops and Critical Success Factors in Introducing Local Experience on the International Projects.” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, DOI: 10.3846/13923730.2014.945950.
* Ahmed, S.M., Sang, L.P., and Torbica, Z.M. (2003) “Use of Quality Function Deployment in Civil Engineering Capital Project Planning.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol.129, No.4, Jul./Aug., 358-368.
*Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (2002) Closure to “Customer Satisfaction in Home Building.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol.128, No.4, Jul./Aug., 358-368.
*Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (2001) “Customer Satisfaction in Home Building.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol.127, No.1, Jan./Feb., 82-86.
*Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R.C. (2000) “HOMBSAT-An Instrument for Measuring Home-Buyer Satisfaction.” Quality Management Journal, Vol. 7, Issue 4.
*Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (1999). “Impact of Total Quality Management on Home-Buyer Satisfaction.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol.125, No. 3, May/June, 198-203.
*Torbica, Z. M. (1995). "An Overview of Japanese Construction Industry." Izgradnja, 49 Vol. 9, 389-397 (in Serbian).
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS - CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS:
*Torbica, Z.M. and Rivera, J.M. (2005) “A Survey on Employee Satisfaction and Productivity in the A/E/C Industries." Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC III), Athens, Greece, September 15-17, 362-367.
* Rigsby, L.D. and Torbica, Z.M. (2003) “Construction Foremen and Their Effect on Productivity Improvement.” Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC2003), Hong Kong, December 12-14, 182-188.
* Rigsby, L.D. and Torbica, Z.M. (2002) “Customer Satisfaction: Contractor’s Perspective.” Proceedings of the First International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC2002), Miami, USA, April 25-26, 983-987.
*Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (1999). “An Assessment Model for Quality Performance Control in Residential Construction.” Proceedings of the 35th Annual ASC Conference, San Luis Obispo, CA, 363-370.
*Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (1999). “Service to Homebuyer Needs More Attention.” Proceedings of the 5th International Conference of the Decision Science Institute, Athens, Greece, July 4-7.
*Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (1999). “Subcontractors Play a Key Role in Maintaining Customer Satisfaction.” Proceedings of the CIB W55 & W65 - Joint Triennial Symposium, Cape Town, South Africa, September 5-10.
*Torbica, Z. M. (1994) "Robotics Utilization in Construction: Unmanned Construction Sites." Proceedings of the Sixth Scientific Meeting iNDiS, Vol. 2. Novi Sad, Yugoslavia, 233-240.
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Beckley, WV 07/2012 – 07/2019
Dean and Professor, Leonard C. Nelson College of Engineering & Sciences
DREXEL UNIVERSITY, Philadelphia, PA 01/2009- 06/2012
Program Director and Associate Clinical Professor, Construction Management Program
CABI DEVELOPERS, Aventura, FL 01/2006 – 10/2008
Director of Development (Apr. 2007- Oct. 2008)
Senior Project Manager (Jan. 2006 – Mar. 2007)
ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY, Bristol, Rhode Island 2004-2006
Associate Professor, School of Engineering, Computing and Construction Management
FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY, Miami, FL 1997-2004
Assistant Professor, College of Engineering, Department of Construction Management
MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY, Mankato, MN 1996-1997
Assistant Professor, Department of Interior Design and Construction Management
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA, Gainesville, FL 1992-1996
Graduate Research Assistant, Rinker School of Construction Management
ENERGOPROJEKT, Belgrade, Yugoslavia 1986-1992
Lead Engineer (1990-1992)
American Society for Quality (#441233)
American Society of Civil Engineers (#406607)
American Society of Engineering Education (#75823)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (#41085399)
AACE International (#21122) (Assoc. M.)
Construction Management Association of America (#219150)