Sustainable Infrastructure and ManUfacturing Lab (SIMU Lab) aims to promote sustainable and resilient infrastructure and manufacturing processes by conducting fundamental and applied research with multidisciplinary knowledge. Our research areas include:
- Sustainable construction materials and manufacturing processes
- Infrastructure resilience to natural hazards
- Artificial intelligence application in civil engineering and construction management
Funded Research Projects:
- PI: American Concrete Institute (ACI) - Concrete Research Council (CRC), "Rheological Behavior of Fresh Ultra-High-Performance Concrete (UHPC) Enhanced by Nano-additives and Data-Driven Approaches", 08/2023-07/2026.
- PI: National Science Foundation (NSF) I-Corps, "Artificial Intelligence (AI)-Assisted Sustainable Cement Manufacturing Technology", 02/2023-07/2024.
- Co-PI: US Department of Transportation - Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) - Pipeline Safety Research Competitive Academic Agreement Program (CAAP), "All-in-One Multifunctional Cured-In-Place Structural Liner for Rehabilitating of Aging Cast Iron Pipelines", 09/2022 - 09/2025.
PI & Administrative Lead: Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant (IISG) Graduate Student Scholars Program, "Recycling Bottom Sediments from Great Lakes in Sustainable Construction Materials", 03/2023 - 04/2024.
PI & Administrative Lead: Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant (IISG) Graduate Student Scholars Program, "Data-Driven Modeling for Hazard-Resilient Infrastructure in Southern Lake Michigan Communities", 03/2023 - 04/2024.
- PI: Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant (IISG) Faculty Scholars Award, "Improving Infrastructure Flood Resilience of the Southern Lake Michigan Region with Fluid-Structure Interaction Model", 06/2022 - 06/2023.
- Co-PI: DOE-NETL-Carbon Capture Program, "Industrial Capture Research Guidance, Carbon Capture Simulation for Industry Impact (CCSI2), EY20 Field Work Proposal", National Energy Technology Laboratory, 04/2020 - 04/2021.
- PI: Purdue Polytechnic Holistic Safety and Security (HSS) Research Impact Area Seed Grant, "Improving Community Hazard Resilience through Data-driven Physics-based Crowdsourcing Approach", Purdue University, 05/2023 - 06/2024.
- PI: Discovery Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Research Internship (DUIRI) - Institute for a Sustainable Future (ISF), "Life Cycle Assessment of Sustainable Construction Materials", Purdue University, 05/2023 - 08/2023.
- PI: Discovery Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Research Internship (DUIRI), "Life Cycle Assessment for Infrastructure Vulnerable to Flood Hazard in the Great Lake Region", Purdue University, 08/2022 - 12/2022.
- Co-PI: Purdue Polytechnic Holistic Safety and Security (HSS) Research Impact Area Seed Grant, "Crowd-Machine Partnership on Road Infrastructure Quality Recognition and Resilience", Purdue University, 10/2021 - 06/2022.
Ph.D. positions are available at SIMU Lab!