Jeff Brewer is an Assistant Professor of Computer & Information Technology (CIT). CIT offers baccalaureate degrees in both information systems development and telecommunications & networking. Prof. Brewer's teaching and scholarly interests cover systems analysis and design, computer-aided software engineering (CASE), rapid application development (RAD), agile development methodologies, and IT project management. Prof. Brewer, before deciding to return to Purdue to teach, spent 19 years working in several different industry environments including specialty retail, manufacturing and most recently as the IT Director for the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists in Chicago. Most of the 19 years of experience was spent in a Project Manager role. He hs developed a new undergraduate course in IT Project Management based on the Project Management Institute's Project Management Body of Knowledge. Professor Brewer is a certified Project Management Professional.
- M.S. (Management Information Systems), University of Missouri St. Louis, MO, 1995.
- B.S. (Computer Technology), Purdue University , 1982.
- A.A. (Computer Technology), Purdue University , 1980.
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- 2004 - CPT Ourstanding Non-Tenured Teaching Award
- 2003 - CPT Ourstanding Non-Tenured Teaching Award
Textbooks and Editorships of Journals/Proceedings
- Jeffrey L. Brewer and Kevin C. Dittman, (2013) Methods of IT Project Management, 2nd edition Purdue Press.
- Brewer, J.L., Dittman, K.C., (2010) Methods of IT Project Management Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall.
Refereed Articles and Conference Papers/Presentations/Abstracts
- Thomas Bunton and Jeffrey L. Brewer (October 2012). Discovering Workplace motivators for the millennial generation of IT employees. Association for Computer Machinery Special Interest Group for Information Technology Education Calgary, Canada.
- Brewer, J. , Harriger, A. and Mendonca, J. (2006). Beyond the model: building an effective and dynamic IT program.. Journal of Information Technology Education (In Press.)
- Kane, M. and Brewer, J. (2006). An information technology emphasis in biomedical informatics education.. Journal of Biomedical Informatics (In Press.)
- Brewer, J. , Dittman, K. and Ghatge, G. (2006). A study of software methodology analysis: "great taste or less filling". Information Systems Educators Journal ((In Press).)
- Brewer,J. (October 2006). Benefits achieved from self and peer assessments in student led group projects.. College Teaching & Learning Conference Las Vegas, NV. (Accepted.)
- Kane, M., Brewer, J., Goldman, J. and Moidu, K. (October 2006). Integrating bioinformatics, clinical informatics, and information technology in support of interdisciplinary curriculum development.. ACM/SIGITE Conference Minneapolis, MN. (Accepted.)
- Brewer, J. and Oman, G. (January 2006). Add business value using agile value stream improvement process.. Applied Business Research & Teaching Learning Conference Orlando, FL.
- Brewer, J. (July 2006). Improving learner understanding of object-oriented information systems development.. 13th International Conference on Learning Montego Bay, Jamaica.
- Brewer, J. and Dittman, K. (2006). Meeting the challenges of today's IT labor demands by building a better prepared student thru targeted curricula enhancements.. Review of Business Information Systems Journal (In Press.)
- Brewer, J. (2005). Project managers, can we make them or just make them better?. ACM/SIGITE Conference (pp.167-173). Newark, NJ.
- Lorenz, L. J., Brewer, J.L. (May 2005). Preparing students to run projects: a self evaluation mapping our curriculum to needed project management learning ourcomes. IRMA
- Brewer, J.L. (2004). Project management best practices to increase success. Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology (pp.2335 - 2340). Idea Group Reference.
- Brewer, J. L., Lorenz, L. J. (October 2003). Using UML and agile development methodologies to teach Object-Oriented analysis and design tools and techniques.. ACM/SIGITE
- Mendonca, J. & Brewer, J.L. (2003). The case for a less methodical methodology: lean, light, extreme, adaptive, agile and appropriate software development. Practicing Software Engineering in the 21th Century (pp.42 - 52). IRM Press.
- Brewer, J.L. (2002). A course model for information technology project management instruction based on the project management institute's body of knowledge. ISECON
- Pinto, J., (2006) Project Management: Achieving Competitive Advantage. Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.. (Reviewed 6 chapters.)
2006 - Wabash Center,
2000 - 2001 - American Association of Nurse Anesthetists,
Director of IT
1997 - 2000 - M&D Industries, Inc
Director of IT
1996 - 1997 - Crawford Consulting, Inc.
1995-1996 - Compuware Corp.
1989 - 1995 - Electronics & Space Corp.
Manager Distributed Systems Support
1985 - 1989 - Great Lakes Chemical Corp.
1983 - 1985 - Melvin Simon & Assoc.
- ACM, 2002 - 2010
- Project Management Institute, 2002 - 2010
- AITP, 2001 - 2010