1401 Aviation Drive
Dr. Fanjoy is an Associate Professor in the School of Aviation and Transportation Technology at Purdue University. His principle teaching areas are air transportation aircraft operations, principles of high performance flight, research methods, and aviation human factors. He also assists in managing the department's graduate program. He has published numerous articles in refereed journals, primarily focused on aspects of aviation human factors. He has been recognized with the University Aviation Association Frank E Sorenson Award for outstanding research contributions, and as a Purdue College of Technology Outstanding Tenured Faculty Member. He served several years as the Editor of the Collegiate Aviation Review, a refereed journal that specializes in articles focusing on aviation research. Dr. Fanjoy’s professional flight experience includes more than 30 years as pilot in command and flight examiner of large jet transport aircraft in both domestic and international flight operations.
PhD, Educational Psychology, Purdue University, 2005
Graduate, National Defense University, Washington, DC, 1990
MA, Industrial Management, Central Michigan University, 1975
BS, Meteorology, Penn State University, 1969
FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate with Multi-engine and Instrument ratings
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor
Purdue University, College of Technology Outstanding Tenured Faculty Member, 2011.
University Aviation Association Sorenson Award for Outstanding Research, 2006.
Fanjoy, R. O. (2016). Rethinking the value of applied research and researcher accountability:A commentary on Trafimow. International Journal of Aviation Sciences,1.
Wang, Y., Keller, J., Huang, C. & Fanjoy, R. O. (2015). An exploratory study:Correlations between occupational stressors, coping mechanisms, and job performance among Chinese aviation maintenance technicians.Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering.
- Spence, T. B., Fanjoy, R. O., Lu, CT, & Schreckengast, S.W. (2015). International standardization compliance in aviation. Journal of Transport Management.
- Keller, J., Walala, M., & Fanjoy, R. O. (2015). Interaction of weather and other contributing factors in general aviation instrument approach accidents. Collegiate Aviation Review.
- Winter, S.R., Fanjoy, R.O., Lu, C., Carney, T. Q., & Greenan, J. P. (2014). Decision to use an airframe parachute in a flight training environment. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, Vol.3, Iss.2, Article 6.
- Kirschner, J. E., Young, J.P., & Fanjoy, R.O. (2014). Stress and coping as a function of experience level in pilots. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 3(2), 14-19.
- Winter, S.R., Kirschner, J.E., Leib, S.M., & Fanjoy, R. O. (2013). Implementing jet aircraft training in a university setting: Instructor perceptions and lessons learned. Collegiate Aviation Review, 31(1).
- Fanjoy, R.O., & Keller, J. C. (2013). Flight skill proficiency Issues in instrument approach accidents. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 3 (1), 1-7.
- Franza, A. & Fanjoy, R. O. (2012). Contributing factors in Piper PA28 and Cirrus SR20 aircraft accidents. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering 1(2), 90-96.
- Fanjoy, R. O., & Gao, Y. (2011). Learning styles of Chinese aviation students. International Journal of Applied Aviation studies, 11(1), 1-8.
- Fanjoy, R. O., Harriman, S.L., & Demik, R. J. (2010). Individual and environmental predictors of burnout among regional airline pilots. International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, 10(1), 15-30.
- Harriman, S. L., Fanjoy, R. O., & Petrin, D. A. (2009). General aviation airport emergency preparedness and the perceived risks of very light jet operations. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 19 (1), 25-36.
- Fanjoy, R. O., & Gao, Y. (2007). Collegiate aviation in China: Opportunities and challenges. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 17 (1), 11-18.
- Fanjoy, R.O., Young, J. P., & Suckow, M. W. (2006). The experience factor: A regional airline view of pilot candidate experience. Collegiate Aviation Review, 24 (1), 67-72.
- Lee, J. R., Fanjoy, R. O., & Dillman, B. G. (2006). The effects of safety information on aeronautical decision making. Journal of Air Transportation, 10(3), 3-16.
- Young, J. P., Fanjoy, R. O. & Suckow, M. W. (2006). Impact of glass cockpit experience on manual flight skills. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 15(2), 27-32.
- Fanjoy, R. O., Young, J. P. & Dillman, B. G. (2005). Exit exams for college flight programs: Redundant activity or certification of competency? Collegiate Aviation Review, 23 (1), 24-31.
- Proctor, R. W., Young, J. P., Fanjoy, R. O., Feyen, R. G., Hartman, N. W., & Hiremath, V. V. (2005, April). Simulating glass cockpit displays in a general aviation environment. Proceedings of the 13th Biennial Symposium on Aviation Psychology, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 481-484.F
- Fanjoy, R. O. & Young, J. P. (2005). Flight deck automation: Line pilot insight for improved initial pilots training. International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, 5 (1), 13-24.
- Fanjoy, R. O. & Young, J. P. (2004). Training levels and methodologies for new technology aircraft in collegiate aviation. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 13 (2), 35-41.
- Fanjoy, R. O. (2004). Prediction of collegiate aviation student competency levels. Dissertation Abstracts International.