The following subheads will provide you with information on how to calculate your GPA, as well as information on acheiving Dean's List and Semester Honors.
Determining Quality Points
Quality Points are simply the weight, the numeric value assigned each grade, multiplied by the number of credit hours for the course.
|Grade||Weight||Quality Points = Weight x Credit Hours|
|A+||4.0||4.0 x Credit Hours|
|A||4.0||4.0 x Credit Hours|
|A-||3.7||3.7 x Credit Hours|
|B+||3.3||3.3 x Credit Hours|
|B||3.0||3.0 x Credit Hours|
|B-||2.7||2.7 x Credit Hours|
|C+||2.3||2.3 x Credit Hours|
|C||2.0||2.0 x Credit Hours|
|C-||1.7||1.7 x Credit Hours|
|D+||1.3||1.3 x Credit Hours|
|D||1.0||1.0 x Credit Hours|
|D-||0.7||0.7 x Credit Hours|
|F||0.0||0.0 x Credit Hours|
- Not all courses use +/- grades. Please refer to your course syllabi for more information.
- Grades of W, WF, and WN are not included in GPA calculations.
Here is an example for a student taking the recommended first-semester courses on the Electrical Engineering Technology Plan of Study.
|Course||Grade||Weight||Credit Hours||Quality Points = Weight x Credit Hours|
|ECET 12000||B||3.0||3.0||3.0 x 3.0 = 9.0|
|CNIT 10500||A||4.0||3.0||4.0 x 3.0 = 12.0|
|ENGL 10600||C+||2.3||4.0||2.3 x 4.0 = 9.2|
|MA 22100||A-||3.7||3.0||3.7 x 3.0 = 11.1|
|TECH 12000||A||4.0||3.0||4.0 x 3.0 = 12.0|
The Semester GPA is the total number of Quality Points divided by the total number of Credit Hours, or
53.3/16 = 3.33.
To determine your overall Grade Point Average, divide the total number of Quality Points for all your courses divided by the total number of Credit Hours.
- If you repeat a course at Purdue, only the last grade is included in Grade Point Average Calculations.
- Any grade that has been removed from Grade Point Average calculations will have an E (for exclude) to the right of the Quality Points. For any grade that has been excluded, the Quality Points will be 0.0.
You will receive Dean's List recognition at the end of a semester if you:
- Have at least 12 credit hours in your graduation index with a graduation index of at least 3.5 and,
- Have at least six credit hours in your semester index with a semester index of at least 3.0.
You will receive Semester Honors recognition at the end of a semester if you:
- Have at least 6 credit hours in your semester index with a semester index of at least 3.5 and,
- Have at least a 2.0 graduation index.