This guide is provided to help members of our community to find the right words to describe the Purdue Polytechnic Institute and what makes us unique. See the following sections of the website for complete information (and language to copy) on these topics:
- Transformation: Our transformation from the College of Technology into Purdue Polytechnic, the case for change, and our goals
- Answering the Call: A list of what has changed in the educational landscape, our response to those changes, milestones in our transformation, and links to individual pages that describe each of the ”10 elements” of our transformation
- Record enrollment in 2017 and again in 2018: News releases about enrollment records set that serve as good single-page summaries of the college’s transformation and unique learning environment; also see the one-page fact sheet (PDF, 2017) that provides numerous infographics related to our enrollment growth and transformation goals
- General information: Boilerplate text to describe our college, suitable for inclusion in news releases or other announcements
- About Purdue Polytechnic: A general description of the college with infographics, a single-page version of the Polytechnic learning environment (the ”10 elements”), and the full history of our college
- Find Your Major: A single-page listing of all the majors in the college's six areas of interest that includes brief descriptions of each major
- Locations: A single-page summary of our locations around Indiana that includes text describing the unique aspects of each location
|For the first instance in text or conversation, refer to the college as the Purdue Polytechnic Institute. Subsequent references may employ a shortened version.|
|Shortened references to the college: Purdue Polytechnic, the Polytechnic, and Polytechnic.|
|Shortened references to our locations outside of West Lafayette: Purdue Polytechnic [City], e.g. Purdue Polytechnic Anderson, Purdue Polytechnic South Bend|
|Avoid referring to the college as PPI. The acronym already has numerous worldwide definitions.|
Here’s a shortened version of our boilerplate text which incorporates examples of the above. As a noun:
The Purdue Polytechnic Institute is one of 10 academic colleges at Purdue University, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in aviation, computing, construction management, engineering technology, technology leadership, and technology education. In addition to Purdue University’s main campus in West Lafayette, Indiana, Purdue Polytechnic offers select degree programs in nine Indiana communities.
As an adjective:
The Polytechnic learning experience is designed to produce graduates who not only have deep technical knowledge and applied skills in their chosen discipline, but also possess problem-solving, critical thinking, communications, and leadership skills sought by industries and communities. Polytechnic graduates are uniquely qualified for technology-driven careers.