Dr Yi Gao is an Associate Professor in the School of Aviation and Transportation Technology, Purdue University. His principle teaching areas are Aviation Business and Aviation Finance. Dr Gao has published a number of research articles on peer reviewed journals, primarily focusing on airline customers' behaviors, safety culture analysis of aviation organizations, and pilot selection and education. Besides teaching and research, Dr Gao currently serves on the editorial board of the International Journal of Aviation Sciences, served on the editorial board of Collegiate Aviation Review (International), and sits on the reviewer board of Journal of Air Transport Management, The Aeronautical Journal, Journal of Modeling in Management Information, International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics and Aerospace, and Learning and Individual Differences. Before joining Purdue as a faculty member, Dr Gao was the Aviation Course Director for Swinburne University of Technology (Australia).
PhD, Technology, Purdue University, 2010
ME, Transportation and Planning, Civil Aviation University of China, 2006
BE, Traffic and Transportation, Civil Aviation University of China, 2003
Private Pilot Certificate, FAA
Bilsland Dissertation Fellow, Purdue University, 2009 - 2010
Frederick N. Andrews Fellow, Purdue University, 2006 -2009
Selected Journal Articles
- Gao, Y., Carrigg, M., Lewinski, R., Polderman, D., & Tkalcevic, P. (2018). The perceived value of frequent flyer program benefits among Australian travelers. International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace, 5(3). Retrieved from https://commons.erau.edu/ijaaa/vol5/iss3/6
- Gao, Y & Rajendran, N. (2017) "Safety Climate of Ab-Initio Flying Training Organizations: The Case of an Australian Tertiary (Collegiate) Aviation Program," Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering: Vol. 7: Iss. 1, Article 6. https://doi.org/10.7771/2159-6670.1162
- Gao, Y., & Kong, S. (2016). Personality types of pilot students: A study of an Australian collegiate aviation program. International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace, 3(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.15394/ijaaa.2016.1130
- Gao, Y., Bruce, P. J., & Rajendran, N. (2015). Safety climate of a commercial airline: A cross-sectional comparison of four occupational groups, Journal of Air Transport Management, 47, 162-171, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2015.05.010.
- Gao, Y. & Koo, T. T.R. (2014). Flying Australia–Europe via China: A qualitative analysis of the factors affecting travelers' choice of Chinese carriers using online comments data. Journal of Air Transport Management, 39, 23-29, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2014.03.006.
- Chandra, Samuel; Chitgopeker, Chetan K.; Crawford, Ben; Dwyer, John; & Gao, Yi (2014) Establishing a Benchmark of Fuel Efficiency for Commercial Airline Operations, Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering: 4 (1), http://dx.doi.org/10.7771/2159-6670.1097
- Gao, Y., Bruce, P. J., Newman, D. G., & Zhang, C. B. (2013). Safety climate of commercial pilots: The effect of pilot ranks and employment experiences. Journal of Air Transport Management, 30, 17-24.
- Gao, Y., Au, K. T. S., Kwon, H. J., & Leong, E. W. (2013). Learning styles of Australian aviation students: An assessment of the impact of culture. Collegiate Aviation Review, 31(1), 17-26.
- Fanjoy, R., & Gao, Y. (2011). Learning styles of Chinese aviation students. International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, 11(1), 57-66.
- Fanjoy, R., & Gao, Y. (2007). Collegiate aviation in China: Opportunities and challenges. The Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research, 17(1), 11-18.
Books & Edited Books
- Bruce, P. J., Gao, Y., & King, J. M. C. (2017). Airline Operations: A Practical Guide. United Kingdom: Routledge
Recent Conference Presentations (Since 2014)
- Gao, Y. & Kuang, J. (2018). Understanding social media in China. the 10th Annual Loyalty Conference (Loyalty2018). Bangkok, Thailand
- Gao, Y. (2017). Are frequent flyer programs still loyalty programs for frequent flyers? Paper presented on the Passenger Loyalty China Summit 2017 (PLCS2017). Shanghai, China.
- Gao, Y, & Lewinski, R.. (2017) The value of frequent flyer progammes: The gap between wishful thinking and reality. Paper presented on the 9th Annual Loyalty Conference (Loyalty2017). London, UK.
- Chen, Y., Nguyen, K., Brincat, R., & Gao, Y. (2015). A comparison of the value of frequent flyer points/miles from the perspective of Australia travellers. Proceedings of the 2015 World Conference of Air Transport Research Society (ATRS). Singapore.
- Winter, S., Gao, Y., Rudari, L., & Sperlak, L. (2014). Fostering diversity in collegiate aviation programs: Overcoming challenges and leveraging existing resources. Paper presented on the 2014 Fall Educational Conference of the University Aviation Association. Daytona Beach, Florida.
- Gao, Y., & Wei, D. (2014) An Operational-Safety Oriented Optimization of Airport Gate Assignment. Paper presented on the 20th Conference of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS2014). Barcelona, Spain.
- Gao, Y., KOO, T. T. R., & Qin, R. (2014). Fly from Australia to Europe via China? A qualitative analysis of Australian travelers’ choice of Chinese carriers on the Australia-Europe route. Proceedings of the 2014 World Conference of Air Transport Research Society (ATRS). Bordeaux, France.
- Chandra, S., Chetan, K. C., Crawford, B., Dwyer, J., & Gao, Y. (2014). Establishing a benchmark of fuel efficiency for commercial airline operations. Proceedings of the 2014 World Conference of Air Transport Research Society (ATRS). Bordeaux, France.
University Aviation Association (USA)
Air Transport Research Society
The Airline Group of the Int’l Federation of Operational Research Societies