Head of the Collaborative Robotics Lab at Purdue and Director of the Robotics Accelerator, Prof. Voyles knows robots! With expertise in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and computer science, Dr. Voyles' research interest include novel robotic mechanisms, sensors, self-adaptive software, real-time control, and gesture-based human/robot interaction. His professional experience includes IBM, Avanti Optics, Integrated Systems and Dart Controls, tenured academic positions at the University of Minnesota, University of Denver, and Purdue University, positions with the federal government including leading the National Robotics Initiative at the National Science Foundation and Assistant Director for Robotics and Cyber-Physical Systems at the Office of Science and Technology Policy at the White House, and Board of Director positions on The Works, Easton Family Foundation, Minnesota Virtual Simulations and Mark V Automation.
His formal training includes the PhD in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University, MS in Manufacturing Systems Engineering from Stanford University, and BS in Electrical Engineering from Purdue. At Purdue, Prof Voyles studies infrastructure tools for self-adaptation in real-time and embedded systems. He also directs research in miniature robotics for search and rescue, including small crawling ground robots for penetration into rubble, hybrid serpentine robots for moving over rubble, and high-precision UAVs for inspecting rubble and structures from the air.
PhD in Robotics, Carnegie Mellon University
MS in Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Stanford University
BS in Electrical Engineering, Purdue University
- R.A. Nawrocki, R.M. Voyles, S.E. Shaheen, "Neurons in Polymer: Hardware Neural Units Based on Polymer Memristive Devices and Polymer Transistors," in IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, v. 61, n. 10, 2014, pp. 3513 - 3519.
- R.A. Nawrocki, E.M. Gallager, D.P. Ostrowski, B.A. Bailey, X. Jiang, R.M. Voyles, N. Kopidakis, D.C. Olson, S.E. Shaheen, "An inverted, organic WORM device based on PEDOT:PSS with very low turn-on voltage," in Organic Electronics, v. 15, n. 8, 2014, pp. 1791-1798.
- Y. Cui, R.M. Voyles, R.A. Nawrocki, and G. Jiang, " Morphing Bus: A New Paradigm in Peripheral Interconnect Bus," in IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, v. 4, n. 2, 2014, pp. 341-351.
- S. Althloothi, M.H. Mahoor, R.M. Voyles, "A Robust Method for Rotation Estimation Using Spherical Harmonics Representation," in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, v. 22, n. 6, 2013, pp. 2306-2316.
- S. Althloothi, M.H. Mahoor, R.M. Voyles, "Fitting distal limb segments for accurate skeletonization in human action recognition," in Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, v. 4, n. 2, 2012, pp. 107-121.
- R.M. Voyles, J. Bae, A.C. Larson, and M.A. Ayad, "Wireless video sensor networks for sparse, resource-constrained, multi-robot teams," in Journal of Intelligent Service Robots, v. 2, n.4, 2009, pp. 235-246.
- R. Voyles and H. Choset, "Editorial: Search and Rescue Robots," guest editors for the Special Issue on Search and Rescue Robots, Journal of Field Robotics, v. 25, n. 1/2, Jan./Feb. 2008.
- Y. Sun, K. Kim, R. Voyles, and B. Nelson, "Calibration of Multi-Axis MEMS Force Sensors Using the Shape from Motion Method," in IEEE Sensors Journal, v. 7, No. 3, pp. 344-351, 2007.
- M. Schrameck, R. Bodor, R. Voyles, "Automatic Euclidean Reconstruction for Turntable Sequences by Indirect Epipolar Search Between Pairs of Views," in Image and Vision Computing, v. 24, n. 7, July, pp. 693-708, 2006.
- A.C. Larson, G.K. Demir, and R.M. Voyles, "Terrain Classification Using Weakly-Structured Vehicle/Terrain Interaction ," in Autonomous Robots, v. 19, pp. 41-52, 2005.
- R.M. Voyles and S. Hulst, "Micro/Macro Force-Servoed Gripper for Precision Photonics Assembly and Analysis, Robotica, v. 23, n. 4, July, 2005, pp 401-408.
- A. Larson and R. Voyles, "TerminatorBot: A Novel Robot with Dual-Use Mechanism for Locomotion and Manipulation," in IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, v. 10, n. 1, pp. 17-25, 2005.
- P.E. Rybski, N.P. Papanikolopoulos, S. A. Stoeter, D.G. Krantz, K.B. Yesin, M. Gini, R. Voyles, D.F. Hougen, B. Nelson and M.D. Erickson, "Enlisting Rangers and Scouts for Reconnaissance and Surveillance," in IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, v. 7, n. 4, pp. 14-24, Dec. 2000.
- R. Singh, R.M. Voyles, D. Littau, and N.P. Papanikolopoulos, "Shape Morphing-Based Control of Robotic Visual Servoing," in Autonomous Robots, v. 10, n. 3, pp 317-338, 2001.
- R.M. Voyles and P.K. Khosla, " A Multi-Agent System for Programming Robots by Human Demonstration," in Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, v. 8, n. 1, pp. 59-67, 2001.
- R.M. Voyles, J.D. Morrow, and P.K. Khosla, " Gesture-Based Programming for Robotics: Human Augmented Software Adaptation,," special issue of IEEE Intelligent Systems on self-adaptive software, v. 14, n. 6, 1999, pp. 22-29.
- R.M. Voyles, J.D. Morrow, and P.K. Khosla, " Towards Gesture-Based Programming: Shape from Motion Primordial Learning of Sensorimotor Primitives," special issue of the Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems on robot learning, v. 22, n. 3-4, Dec. 1997, pp. 361-375.
- R.M. Voyles, Jr., J.D. Morrow and P.K. Khosla, " The Shape from Motion Approach to Rapid and Precise Force/Torque Sensor Calibration," in Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, v. 119, n. 2, June, 1997, pp. 229-235.