Wondering what the tech is happening?!
Techies Today, the Purdue Polytechnic podcast, features conversations with Polytechnic faculty, staff and students, plus alumni and friends of the college. Topics include:
- Profiles of faculty, staff and alumni
- Engaging research
- Exciting class happenings
- Interviews with students
- Interesting on-campus experiences
- And any topics that share Purdue Polytechnic’s message and promote our unique role as one of the 10 academic colleges at Purdue University
Techies Today is for everyone — from high school students to leaders in industry — with a potential interest in all things Polytechnic: aviation, computing and graphics, construction management, engineering technologies, technology education and technology management.
Have an idea for an episode? Send email to email@example.com.
Behind the scenes in our podcast studio
Why are we starting a podcast?
The number of Americans who listen to podcasts is enormous, and we want to share our college’s message with them. Data on podcast listenership* in 2019 found:
- 51% of Americans – approximately 144 million people – have listened to a podcast.
- Podcast listenership grew by 20 million people in the last year alone. Listeners age 12-24 represent a significant portion of that increase.
- 32% of Americans – approximately 90 million people – listen to podcasts monthly.
- Podcast listeners are 45% more likely to have a college degree.
- Among podcast listeners, 41% of households earn $75,000 or more per year.
- 54% of podcast consumers say they are more likely to consider brands they hear on podcasts.
How to listen
Techies Today episodes are available below in the Episode Guide (click on an individual episode to go to the page with an embedded player) and in most popular podcast player apps on mobile devices. See How to Listen to learn how to subscribe (it’s free!) on your mobile device. Your app will notify you each time a new episode is published.
The most recent Techies Today episodes are available right here:
Melody Birmingham-Byrd studied organizational leadership and has been a supervisor throughout her career, including more than seven years with Duke Energy. She reveals the inspiration for her career in management and shares advice about how to succeed in business in every phase of your career.
Purdue Polytechnic's Gozdem Kilaz, assistant professor of engineering technology, has focused her research on developing alternative liquid fuels for transportation — specifically, aviation biofuels. She discusses her work on a project to convert plastic waste into jet fuel. Gozdem also has big news to share about an upcoming project. (This episode was updated to correct a minor error in the introduction.)
Mitch Daniels and Gary Bertoline discuss the $140M Engineering & Polytechnic Gateway Complex, to be built soon on campus.
Mark French’s videos, seen by over 6.5 million viewers, help students understand challenging mathematical concepts. We talked with Mark about his channel's origins and production techniques.
An introduction to Techies Today, the Purdue Polytechnic podcast, with clips of upcoming episodes.