PhD in Technology (Building Construction Management), 2016, Purdue University
Dissertation title: "A mixed methods study on choice of media influence on construction industry communication"
Dissertation advisor: Dr. Mark Shaurette
MS in Real Estate Development (Technology and Planning), 2013, Instituto de Pesquisas Tecnologicas de Sao Paulo (IPT – SP)
Thesis title: "Proposal of a BIM computational tool to assist the design of architectural precast concrete panel façades"
Thesis advisor: Dr. Sergio Leal Ferreira (USP)
BS in Architecture and Urban Planning, 2005, University of Sao Paulo (USP)
Associate Design-Build Professional™ (Assoc. DBIA™)
Peer reviewed journal publications:
- Debs, L., Miller, K. D., Ashby, I. & Exter, M. (2018 - Online First). Student’s comparisons between two different teaching methods. Research in Science and Technological Education.
de Cresce El Debs, L., Brunese, P., Shaurette, M. (2018). Use of Concept Maps to Illustrate Barriers to Construction Industry Inter-Organizational Communication: a Comparative View from Students and Professionals. International Journal of Construction Education and Research. Vol. 14 Issue 2, p77-94.
de Cresce El Debs, L. & Kelley, T. (2015). Gathering design references from nature. The Technology and Engineering Teacher. Sep2015, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p10-14.
- Debs, L. C. & Ferreira, S. L. (2014). Guidelines for a design process for facades with precast concrete panels in a BIM environment. Ambiente Construido. 14:2, p. 41-60.
- Metzinger, J. R., Cabral, J. E., Debs, L., Santon, S. D. & Zimpfer, M. D. (2019). Construction Management Curriculum Transformation through Project-Based Learning: Initial Implementation. In 54th ASC Annual Conference Proceedings. April 10-13, 2019, Colorado, CO.
- Debs, L. & Gusmao Brissi, S. (2019). Undergraduate Construction Students' Engagement with Other AEC Disciplines. In 54th ASC Annual Conference Proceedings. April 10-13, 2019, Colorado, CO.
- Debs, L. & Zimpfer, M. (2018). Developing and Applying an Undergraduate Cross-course Team Assignment (WIP). In 2018 IEEE Frontiers in Education (FIE) Conference Proceedings. October 3-6, 2018, San Jose, CA, IEEE.
- Shaurette, M. & Debs, L. (2018). Study Abroad to Promote Design and Construction Collaboration. 54th ASC Annual Conference Proceedings. April 17-21, 2018, Minneapolis, MN.
- Debs, L., Brophy, S. & Espinoza, C. (2017). Identifying Student Communication Strategies Involving Spatial Information. In 2017 IEEE Frontiers in Education (FIE) Conference Proceedings. October 18-21, 2017, Indianapolis, IN, IEEE.
- de Cresce El Debs, L, Shaurette, M. Wilder, D. M. (2017). Undergraduate Opportunities for Construction Students' Multidisciplinary AEC Collaboration and Awareness. ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings. June 24-48, 2017, Columbus, OH.
- de Cresce El Debs, L, Shaurette, M., Hynes, W., Kwon, H. J., Hutzel, B., Barbarash, D. (2017). Cross College Collaboration for the Development of a New Major in Design and Construction Integration. ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings. June 24-48, 2017, Columbus, OH.
- de Cresce El Debs, L., Shaurette, M. & Rybkowski (2017). Selection of Communication Media by Design and Construction Personnel for Design Problem Solving. ASC Annual Conference Proceedings April 5-9, 2017, Seattle, WA.
- Gray, C., de Cresce El Debs, L., Exter, M. & Krause, T. (2016). Instructional Strategies for Incorporating Empathy in Transdisciplinary Technology Education. ASEE National Conference Proceedings. June 26-29, 2015, New Orleans, LA. ∗ Nominated as finalist for Best Diversity Paper
- de Cresce El Debs, L., Shaurette, M., & Benhart, B. (2016). Professional Certifications in Construction Industry: A Comparative View from Students and Companies. ASC Annual Conference Proceedings April 13-16, 2016, Provo, UT.
- de Cresce El Debs, L., Dionne, R., Exter, M. & Shaurette, M. (2015). Problem solving in a multidisciplinary environment: observations from a newly developed program. ASEE National Conference Proceedings. June 14-17, 2015, Seattle, WA.
- Debs, L. C. & Ferreira, S. L. (2013). Specifications for a BIM computational tool for conceiving facade design with precast panels. Anais do 6o Encontro de Tecnologia de Informacao e Comunicacao na Construcao. Campinas. PPGAU/EESC/USP. p. 411-422.
- El Debs, L. C. & Ferreira, S. L. (2013). Analysis of the potential of using BIM applications for designs with precast elements. Anais do 3o. Encontro Nacional Pesquisa-Projeto-Producao em Pre-Moldados 2013. Sao Carlos: EESC-USP.
- Debs, L. C., Ferreira, S. L., & Villares, A. B. A. (2012). Application of Automated Code Checking in Brazilian Building Regulations. Proceedings of the CIB W078, 2012, Beirut. Beirut: Lebanese American University. p. 52-61.
de Cresce El Debs, L. C. (2016). A mixed-methods study on choice of media influence on construction industry communication. Dissertation presented for obtaining the degree of PhD in Technology. Purdue University, 2013. West Lafayette, IN. 244p.
- Debs, L. C. & Ferreira, S. L. (2013) Analysis of the potential of using BIM tools for designs with precast elements. Concreto & Construcoes. N. 72. October-December 2013. p. 53-58. (not peer revised, invited publication, trades magazine)
- Debs, L. C. (2013). Proposal of a BIM computational tool to assist the design of architectural precast concrete panel facades. Thesis presented for obtaining the degree of Master in Built Environment (Habitat). IPT-SP, 2013. Sao Paulo. 200p.
Shaurette, M. & de Cresce El Debs, L. (2016), The Purdue School of Construction Management’s Major in Design-Construction Integration. 18th Lean Construction Institute Annual Congress. Lean Construction Institute. Chicago, IL.
- de Cresce El Debs, L. & Shaurette, M. (2016), Conceptualizing a New Undergraduate Degree: Design-Construction Integration. Associated Schools of Construction Annual Conference 2016. Provo, UT (poster presentation).
- de Cresce El Debs, L., Miller, K, & Exter, M. (2015), A Student’s Perspective on Different Teaching Methods. Association for Education Communications & Technologies Annual Conference 2015. Indianapolis, IN (roundtable presentation).
- de Cresce El Debs, L., & Brophy, S. (2015). Assessing communication skills associated with spatial information. NCEER Conference: Integrating Cognitive Science with Innovative Teaching in STEM Disciplines. September 18-19, 2015, Evanston, IL (poster presentation).
- Debs, L. C. & Ferreira, S. L. (2012). Proposal for a BIM computational tool for elaborating fa¸cade design with precast pieces. In: Encontro Nacional de Tecnologia do Ambiente Construido 2012, Juiz de Fora, Brazil (poster presentation).
Project Engineer Intern, Clayco (Chicago, IL) — Summer, 2015
Architect, Schahin Engineering (Sao Paulo, Brazil) — July, 2011 to Feb., 2013
Architect, Chemin Real Estate Developer (Sao Paulo, Brazil) — July, 2007 to July, 2011
Architect, Ieme Brasil Consultants (Sao Paulo, Brazil) — Nov., 2005 to Dec., 2006
Architect, Precast Consultants (Sao Paulo, Brazil) — June, 2005 to Nov., 2005
- Lean Construction Institute (LCI)
- Design Build Institute of America (DBIA)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)