Bryan Hubbard is an Associate Professor in the Building Construction and Management (BCM) Program at Purdue University where he teaches courses in plan reading, estimating, and industrial construction. Bryan' s research interests include construction safety, industrial and nuclear construction, and workforce training. He has received research grants from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) to further research in the area of construction safety and also from the Department of Labor to promote construction worker safety training. Prior to working in BCM, Bryan worked at Purdue in the Civil Engineering Department and the Construction Engineering and Management Program teaching and working with industry.
Prior to coming to Purdue, Bryan worked as an engineer in industry, with design and construction experience in the United States and Europe, including large scale projects in the power industry. Bryan was the lead inventor on a new process for water purification and desalination in industrial cooling systems and holds two patents. Bryan received his Ph.D. in civil engineering from Texas A& M University and his master's (MSE) and bachelor's degrees (BSME) from Purdue University, and is licensed as a professional engineer in the State of Indiana.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering, Texas A& M University, College Station, Texas.
Master of Science in Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Hubbard, B. & Middaugh, B. (2012). Leveraging Bluetooth Consumer Electronics as Proximity Sensors to Construction Hazards. International Journal of Construction Education and Research. (Accepted for publication, publication pending).
- Zhao, Z., Zhang, S. Hubbard, B., & Zhao, X., (2012). The Emergence of the Solar Photovoltaic Power Industry in China. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. (Submitted).
- Middaugh, B., Hubbard, B., Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin, J.D., (2012). Inhalation of Calcium Oxide and Quartz during Soil Stabilization Processes. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. (Submitted).
- Middaugh, B., Hubbard, B., Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin, J.D., (2011). Evaluation of Cut-Off Saw Exposure Control Methods for Respirable Dust and Crystalline Silica in Roadway Construction. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene Vol 9, 157-165.
- Hubbard, B.J. & Hubbard S.L. (2011). Opportunities for Recruiting and Training Construction Workers in the Transportation Sector. Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Vol 5, Number 7, pp. 15-23.
- Rapp, R. R., Lew, J., & Hubbard, B.J. (2010). Some Observations and Lessons Learned: Katrina, Wilma, and Iraq, Project Perpectives, The Annual Publication of International Project Management Association, Vol 33, pp. 16-21.
- Hubbard, B.J., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009). Activities to Enhance Civil Engineering Recruitment and Coordination with Industry. Transportation Research Record, No. 2109, pp. 22-30.
- McGlothlin, J.D., Hubbard, B.J., Aghazadeh, F., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009). Case Study: Safety Training Issues for Hispanic Construction Workers. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 6 Issue 9 pp. D1-D6.
- Hubbard, B.H., McGlothlin, J.D., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009). Case Study: Safety Training Issues for Student Interns. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 6 Issue 8 pp.D45-D50.
Peer Reviewed Conference Papers
- Fan, S., Hubbard, B., & Shen, Q. (2011, August). Respirable Crystalline Silica Dust Exposure during Concrete Breaking and Drilling in Hong Kong Construction Industry. CIB W099 Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Hubbard, B.J., Middaugh, B. , & Koelle, D. (2011, August). Field Testing of Bluetooth Proximity Device for Construction Health Hazards. CIB W099 Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Middaugh, B., Hubbard, B.J., Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin, J.D. (August 2011). A Case Study in Real Time Exposure Training in Construction. CIB W099 Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Kmec, J., Hubbard, B.J., Bertando, M., & Revis, B., (2011, June). Defining a Role for a College of Technology in Nuclear Education. ASSE Annual Meeting, AC 2011-2818, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- Hubbard, B.J., Middaugh, B. & Bullock, D. (2011, January). Utilization of Bluetooth Technology to Assess Worker Proximity to Construction Health Hazards, Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board 89th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Hubbard, B.J. & Rui, L. (2010, November). Utilizing a Virtual Organization for the Development and Delivery of an International Course in Industrial and Heavy Civil Construction. International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management, Brisbane, Australia.
- McGlothlin, J.D., Hubbard, B.J., Motadezi A., & Cabral, J. (2010, May). Fall Protection Issues in the Wind Power Industry, 2010 International Conference on Fall Prevention and Protection, Morgantown, WV.
- Middaugh, B., Hubbard, B.J., Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin, J.D. (2010, May). Development of a Practical Guide for Assessing Silica Dust Exposure Limits for Concrete Sawing Methods, CIB 2010 World Congress, Manchester, England.
- Hubbard, B.J., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009, January). Opportunities for Recruiting and Training Construction Workers in the Transportation Sector, Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board 88th Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Hubbard, B.J. & Lillo, S.M. (2009, November). An Assessment of Challenges for the Construction of the Next Generation Nuclear Power Plants in the United States. International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management, Beijing, China.
- Hubbard, B.J., Middaugh, B. , Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin J.D. (2009, November). Utilizing an Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) to Assess Concrete Saws with Silica Dust Reduction Equipment. CIB W099 Construction Safety Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
- Hubbard, B.J., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009, April). Utilization of the AISC Steel Sculpture for an Introductory Construction Plan Reading Course. Associated Schools of Construction, 45th Annual International Conference, Gainesville, FL.
- Korpus, R. Hubbard, B.J., Jones, P. Stromgren & Bennett (1998) Hydrodynamic Design of Integrated Propulsor/Stern Concepts by Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes Techniques. Transaction of the Seventh International Symposium on Practical Design of Ship and Mobile Units (PRADS), The Hague, Netherlands.
- Korpus, R. Hubbard, B.J., Jones, P., Casper, Schemm, Koski & Manzi (1998) Support of Advanced Sail by Chimera-Based Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes Simulations (Unclassified Title). SAIC Document Control #9801486, Presented at the First Symposium on Marine Applications of Computational Dynamics, McLean, VA.
- Hubbard, B.J. & Chen, H.C. (1995). Calculations of Unsteady Flows Around Bodies with Relative Motion Using a Chimera RANS Method. ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, Boulder, CO.
- Hubbard, B.J., & Chen, H.C. (1994). A Chimera Scheme for Incompressible Viscous Flows with Application to Submarine Hydrodynamics, AIAA Paper No. 94-2210.
- Hubbard, B.J. and Middaugh, B. (2011, July). Health Hazards in the Construction Industry. Tsinghua Summer School for International Construction, Beijing, China.
- Hubbard, B.J. and Middaugh, B. (2011, June). Exposure Assessment of Inhalation Hazards in Roadway Construction: A Study of Engineering Controls, Prevention, and Training to Improve Worker Safety. Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2010, October). Prevention Through Design Using Safety Engineering Principles, Case Study in the Wind Farm Industry. NIOSH FACE Meeting, Morgantown, WV.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2010, April). Analytical Hierarchal Process (AHP) for Selecting Personal Protective Equipment. 2010 Indiana Safety and Health Conference & Expo, Indianapolis, IN.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2010, January). Conventional Bridge Deck Patching Materials and Methods. Indiana County Bridge Conference, West Lafayette, IN.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2009, November). An Assessment of Needs for the United States Nuclear Construction Industry, North China Electric Power University, Beijing, China.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2009, January). Bridge Construction Inspection for Local Public Agencies. Indiana County Bridge Conference, West Lafayette, IN.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2008, October). Components of a Successful Construction Internship Program. Marquette University, Construction Engineering Industry Advisory Council, Milwaukee, WI.
- U.S. Patent 6,663,694 Air-to-Air Atmospheric Heat Exchanger for Condensing Cooling Tower Effluent. Hubbard et al, Awarded December 16, 2003.
- U.S. Patent 6,663,087 Air-to-Air Atmospheric Heat Exchanger for Condensing Cooling Tower Effluent. Hubbard et al, Awarded December 16, 2003.