Bryan Hubbard is an Associate Professor at Purdue University where he teaches courses in estimating, design construction integration and industrial construction. Bryan' s research interests include design construction integration, drone use in construction, construction safety, sustainability and industrial construction. Bryan was Head of the School of Construction Management Technology from 2013 to 2017 where he oversaw the creation of the Design Construction Integration Major that focuses on trans-disciplinary studies across all areas of the built environment. He also headed up a curriculum transformation to incorporate real world construction projects at every level. Prior to coming to Purdue, Bryan worked as an engineer in industry, with design and construction experience in the United States and Europe, including large scale projects in the power industry. Bryan was the lead inventor on a new process for water purification and desalination in industrial cooling systems and has two patents. Bryan received his Ph.D. in civil engineering from Texas A& M University and his master's (MSE) and bachelor's degrees (BSME) from Purdue University, and is licensed as a professional engineer in the State of Indiana.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering, Texas A& M University, College Station, Texas.
Master of Science in Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Hubbard, S. M., & Hubbard, B. J. (2019). A Review of Sustainability Metrics for the Construction and Operation of Airport and Roadway Infrastructure. Frontiers of Engineering Management, 1-20.
- Rahman, A., Bridge, A., Rowlingson, S., Hubbard, B., & Xia, B. (2018) Multinational contracting and the eclectic paradigm of internationalization, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 25(11), 1418-1435.
Hubbard, B., Huang, Q., Caskey, P., & Wang, Y. (2013) Safety awareness educational topics for the construction of power transmission systems with smart grid technologies, Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building, 13 (3) 114-127.
Zhao, Z., Zhang, S. Hubbard, B., & Zhao, X., (2013). The Emergence of the Solar Photovoltaic Power Industry in China. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 21, issue C, pages 229-236.
- Hubbard, B. & Middaugh, B. (2013). Leveraging Bluetooth Consumer Electronics as Proximity Sensors to Construction Hazards. International Journal of Construction Education and Research, 9:117–131, 2013.
- Middaugh, B., Hubbard, B., Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin, J.D., (2011). Evaluation of Cut-Off Saw Exposure Control Methods for Respirable Dust and Crystalline Silica in Roadway Construction. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene Vol 9, 157-165.
- Hubbard, B.J. & Hubbard S.L. (2011). Opportunities for Recruiting and Training Construction Workers in the Transportation Sector. Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Vol 5, Number 7, pp. 15-23.
- Rapp, R. R., Lew, J., & Hubbard, B.J. (2010). Some Observations and Lessons Learned: Katrina, Wilma, and Iraq, Project Perpectives, The Annual Publication of International Project Management Association, Vol 33, pp. 16-21.
- Hubbard, B.J., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009). Activities to Enhance Civil Engineering Recruitment and Coordination with Industry. Transportation Research Record, No. 2109, pp. 22-30.
- McGlothlin, J.D., Hubbard, B.J., Aghazadeh, F., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009). Case Study: Safety Training Issues for Hispanic Construction Workers. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 6 Issue 9 pp. D1-D6.
- Hubbard, B.H., McGlothlin, J.D., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009). Case Study: Safety Training Issues for Student Interns. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 6 Issue 8 pp.D45-D50.
Hubbard, B., "Evaporative Cooling Systems and Methods Therefor.", U.S. Patent Application No. 16/662,673, Pending, Published May 21, 2020.
- Hubbard et al, U.S. Patent 6,663,694 Air-to-Air Atmospheric Heat Exchanger for Condensing Cooling Tower Effluent. Awarded December 16, 2003.
- Hubbard et al, U.S. Patent 6,663,087 Air-to-Air Atmospheric Heat Exchanger for Condensing Cooling Tower Effluent. Awarded December 16, 2003.
- Hubbard, B. & Hubbard, S. (2018). Chapter. Stakeholder Transformation in OSM Infrastructure Construction. Goulding, J. & Rahimian, F. (Eds.) Offsite Production and Manufacturing for Innovative Construction: People, Process and Technology (ISBN 978-1-138-55071-1), Routledge, Taylor & Francis.
Hubbard, B. (2015) Chapter 8. Cranes and Hoisting Equipment. Rapp, R. & Benhart, B. (Eds.) (2015) Construction Site Planning and Logistical Operations Site-Focused Management for Builders. Purdue University Press.
Peer Reviewed Proceedings and Presentations
- Hubbard, B. & Hubbard, S. (2020, June). Opportunities for Transportation Departments to Leverage Construction UAS Data, Creative Construction Conference, June 28- July 1, 2020, Virtual.
- Debs, L., & Hubbard, B. J. (2020). Faculty Experience in Team-Teaching in Construction Management Higher Education. 2020 ASEE Annual Conference, virtual.
- Hubbard, S. M., & Hubbard, B. J. (2019). A Method for Selecting Strategic Deployment Opportunities for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). Washington, D.C.: Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
Rangel, C., Benhart, B., Hubbard, B., & Shaurette, M. (2018). Contractors’ Knowledge and Understanding of Design Assist Contracting Risks, 54th Annual ASC International Conference, April 18-21, 2018, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Kerbs, D., Jenkins, J., & Hubbard, B. (2018). Attitudes and Behaviors of Union Construction Workers and Personal Fall Arrest Systems, 54th Annual ASC International Conference, April 18-21, 2018, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Seibert, Z. N., Shaurette, M., Hubbard, B., & Benhart, B. (2017). Jobsite Behaviors of Unionized Mechanical Foremen Relative to Knowledge of the Project Budget, 54th Annual ASC International Conference, April 18-21, 2018, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Wang, H., & Hubbard, B (2017, June) A survey study on industrial construction project supply chain: on time performance and practices of structural steel and pipe spools, Creative Construction Conference, June 19-23, 2017, Primosten, Croatia.
Benhart, B., Cabral, J. Hubbard, B., Metzinger, J., Morgan, P., & Santon, S. (2017, April). Construction Management Curriculum Transformation through Project-Based Learning; Part 1 of a Progressive Case Study, ASC Conference, April 5-7, 2017, Seattle, Washington.
Hubbard, S.M.L. & Hubbard, B. (2016, September). UAS in the Construction Industry, International Conference on Construction Real Estate Management 2016, September 29- October 1, 2016, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Liu, R., Lin, S., & Hubbard, B. (2015, August). Utilizing RFID Technology in Chinese Power Grid Logistics Management. In 3rd International Conference on Material, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (IC3ME 2015). Atlantis Press.
Hubbard, S.M.L. & Hubbard, B. (2015, May). Public Private Partnerships in the Transportation Sector: An Overview and Case Studies in the United States, Eighth International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-8), May 27-30, 2015, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Hubbard, B., Wang, H., et al. (2015, April). Feasibility Study of UAV use for RFID Material Tracking on Construction Sites”, Associated Schools of Construction Annual International Conference, College Station, TX.
Soto, S., Hubbard, B & Hubbard, S. (2014, May). Prefabrication Facility Safety in the Construction Industry, CIB W099 Conference, Lund, Sweden.
Wang, H., Hubbard, B & Hubbard, S. (2014, May), RFID Applied to Supply Chain Logistics in Disaster Recovery, 10th International Conference of the International Institute for Infrastructure Resilience and Reconstruction (I3R2), West Lafayette, IN.
Garg, C., & Hubbard, B. (July 2013). Optimization of Component Size in Modular Construction, Creative Construction Conference, Budapest, Hungary.
Hubbard, B. & Zukley, D. (2013, May). Crane Safety: Lessons from the Nuclear Industry, CIB 2013 World Congress, Brisbane, Australia.
Baha, Z. & Hubbard, B. (2013, May). Technical Core Competencies Assessment for the Global Construction Professional, CIB 2013 World Congress, Brisbane, Australia.
Hubbard, B., Caskey, P., & Wang, Y. (2012, September). Safety Awareness Educational Topics for the Construction of Power Transmission Systems with Smart Grid Technologies. CIB W099 International Conference on Modeling and Building Health and Safety, Singapore.
Huang, Q. & Hubbard, B. (2012, October). Smart Grid and Electrical Transmission Construction Course Development. International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management, Kansas City, Kansas.
- Fan, S., Hubbard, B., & Shen, Q. (2011, August). Respirable Crystalline Silica Dust Exposure during Concrete Breaking and Drilling in Hong Kong Construction Industry. CIB W099 Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Hubbard, B.J., Middaugh, B. , & Koelle, D. (2011, August). Field Testing of Bluetooth Proximity Device for Construction Health Hazards. CIB W099 Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Middaugh, B., Hubbard, B.J., Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin, J.D. (August 2011). A Case Study in Real Time Exposure Training in Construction. CIB W099 Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Kmec, J., Hubbard, B.J., Bertando, M., & Revis, B., (2011, June). Defining a Role for a College of Technology in Nuclear Education. ASSE Annual Meeting, AC 2011-2818, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- Hubbard, B.J., Middaugh, B. & Bullock, D. (2011, January). Utilization of Bluetooth Technology to Assess Worker Proximity to Construction Health Hazards, Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board 89th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Hubbard, B.J. & Rui, L. (2010, November). Utilizing a Virtual Organization for the Development and Delivery of an International Course in Industrial and Heavy Civil Construction. International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management, Brisbane, Australia.
- McGlothlin, J.D., Hubbard, B.J., Motadezi A., & Cabral, J. (2010, May). Fall Protection Issues in the Wind Power Industry, 2010 International Conference on Fall Prevention and Protection, Morgantown, WV.
- Middaugh, B., Hubbard, B.J., Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin, J.D. (2010, May). Development of a Practical Guide for Assessing Silica Dust Exposure Limits for Concrete Sawing Methods, CIB 2010 World Congress, Manchester, England.
- Hubbard, B.J., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009, January). Opportunities for Recruiting and Training Construction Workers in the Transportation Sector, Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board 88th Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Hubbard, B.J. & Lillo, S.M. (2009, November). An Assessment of Challenges for the Construction of the Next Generation Nuclear Power Plants in the United States. International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management, Beijing, China.
- Hubbard, B.J., Middaugh, B. , Zimmerman, N., & McGlothlin J.D. (2009, November). Utilizing an Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) to Assess Concrete Saws with Silica Dust Reduction Equipment. CIB W099 Construction Safety Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
- Hubbard, B.J., & Hubbard, S.M. (2009, April). Utilization of the AISC Steel Sculpture for an Introductory Construction Plan Reading Course. Associated Schools of Construction, 45th Annual International Conference, Gainesville, FL.
- Korpus, R. Hubbard, B.J., Jones, P. Stromgren & Bennett (1998) Hydrodynamic Design of Integrated Propulsor/Stern Concepts by Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes Techniques. Transaction of the Seventh International Symposium on Practical Design of Ship and Mobile Units (PRADS), The Hague, Netherlands.
- Korpus, R. Hubbard, B.J., Jones, P., Casper, Schemm, Koski & Manzi (1998) Support of Advanced Sail by Chimera-Based Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes Simulations (Unclassified Title). SAIC Document Control #9801486, Presented at the First Symposium on Marine Applications of Computational Dynamics, McLean, VA.
- Hubbard, B.J. & Chen, H.C. (1995). Calculations of Unsteady Flows Around Bodies with Relative Motion Using a Chimera RANS Method. ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, Boulder, CO.
- Hubbard, B.J., & Chen, H.C. (1994). A Chimera Scheme for Incompressible Viscous Flows with Application to Submarine Hydrodynamics, AIAA Paper No. 94-2210.
- Hubbard, B., Rangel, C., Perlberg, B., & Leone, J. (2018, November). The Benefits and Risks of Design-Assist Contracting and Delegated Design, Construction Owners Association of America Fall Leadership Conference, November 14-16, La Jolla, California. (Invited Presentation).
- Hubbard, B.J. and Middaugh, B. (2011, July). Health Hazards in the Construction Industry. Tsinghua Summer School for International Construction, Beijing, China.
- Hubbard, B.J. and Middaugh, B. (2011, June). Exposure Assessment of Inhalation Hazards in Roadway Construction: A Study of Engineering Controls, Prevention, and Training to Improve Worker Safety. Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2010, October). Prevention Through Design Using Safety Engineering Principles, Case Study in the Wind Farm Industry. NIOSH FACE Meeting, Morgantown, WV.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2010, April). Analytical Hierarchal Process (AHP) for Selecting Personal Protective Equipment. 2010 Indiana Safety and Health Conference & Expo, Indianapolis, IN.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2010, January). Conventional Bridge Deck Patching Materials and Methods. Indiana County Bridge Conference, West Lafayette, IN.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2009, November). An Assessment of Needs for the United States Nuclear Construction Industry, North China Electric Power University, Beijing, China.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2009, January). Bridge Construction Inspection for Local Public Agencies. Indiana County Bridge Conference, West Lafayette, IN.
- Hubbard, B.J. (2008, October). Components of a Successful Construction Internship Program. Marquette University, Construction Engineering Industry Advisory Council, Milwaukee, WI.