Kevin C. Dittman is an Associative Professor in the Computer Technology department at Purdue University. He has been with the University for ten years and is responsible for teaching systems analysis and design, and project management courses, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. He is a co-author of the textbook titled Systems Analysis & Design Methods by Whitten, Bentley and Dittman and has published numerous other scholarly papers on systems analysis and design, and project management. Professor Dittman has over 22 years of industrial experience in the information technology field all relating to systems development and has been serving as a principle consultant to Lockheed Martin the past seven years. Professor Dittmans current research and teaching interests are: systems analysis and design processes and techniques, software development quality and productivity methods, and information systems project management.
- M.S. (Management), Florida Institute of Technology , 1992.
- B.S.C.S. - Purdue University , 1981.
- 2008 - Awarded Best Paper of Program - College Teaching & Learning Conference Orlando, Fl:
- 2006 - Awarded Best Paper of Program - College Teaching & Learning Conference Orlando, Fl
- 2004 - Awarded Best Paper of Program - College Teaching & Learning Conference Orlando, Fl:
- 1998 - OOPSLA Educator’s Symposium Scholarship - $1750
- 1998 - Outstanding Non-Tenured Faculty Award, School of Technology
- 1997 - OOPSLA Educator’s Symposium Scholarship - $1750
- 1997 - Outstanding Non-Tenured Faculty Award, School of Technology
- 1996 - Outstanding Non-Tenured Faculty Award, School of Technology
Textbooks and Editorships of Journals/Proceedings
- Brewer, Jeff and Dittman, Kevin C., (2010) Methods of Information Technology Project Management Prentice Hall. (Available - 6-30-09 ISBN: 0132367254 ISBN-13: 9780132367257 Format: Paperback, 525pp )
- Whitten*, Jeffrey L., Bentley*, Lonnie D., and Dittman, Kevin C.,, (2004) Systems analysis and design methods, 6th editionIrwin/McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc... ((724 pages). ISBN 0072474173. Note: 6th edition is published in numerous languages. . ISBN: 986-157-107-8 Chinese . ISBN: 957-493-949-9 Chinese . ISBN: 7-111-14564 Chinese )
- Dittman, Kevin C., (2001) Project and case study #2 including solutions to accompany analysis and design methods textbookIrwin/McGraw-Hill..
- Whitten*, Jeffrey L., Bentley*, Lonnie D., and Dittman, Kevin C., (2001) Systems analysis and design methods, 5th editionIrwin/McGraw-Hill, McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc... (((724 pages). The 5th edition has been translated into five languages and has adoptions in all 50 states. Over 700 universities adopted this textbook. Total unit sales reached 45,000 copies. ISBN 0-07-231539-3))
- Whitten, Jeffrey L., and Bentley, Lonnie D., (1998) Systems Analysis and Design Methods, 4th edition Irwin/McGraw-Hill, McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. (with special contributions by Kevin C. Dittman. ISBN 0-256-19906-X (student edition) and ISBN 0-256-23826-X (instructor’s edition))
- Whitten*, J. L., Bentley*, L. D., and Dittman K. C.,, (1998) Instructors Edition: Systems analysis and design methods (4th ed.) Richard D. Irwin Publishing.. ((This book is an instructor’s version of the main textbook and includes 89 pages of supplemental material. ISBN # 0-256-23826-X))
- Kevin C. Dittman, (1998) Application Cases in Systems Analysis and Design Irwin/McGraw-Hill, McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.. (ISBN 13: 9780256257120)
- Dittman*, K.C., Mariga, J. M., and Morris, L., (1998) Instructor’s resource materials to accompany systems analysis and design methods (4th ed.) MA: Irwin/McGraw-Hill. (CDROM ISBN 0-256-25713-2 160 megabytes)
- Kevin C. Dittman, (1995) Fundamentals of System Architect McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing. (ISBN-13: 9780256196825 192pp )
Refereed Articles and Conference Papers/Presentations/Abstracts
- Dittman, Kevin C. (October 1997). Using use case modeling in teaching object-oriented systems analysis and design. 1997 Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA) Educators Symposium (pp.42-51). Atlanta, GA: The Association for Computing Machinery, Inc.. (Panelist with Adele Goldberg.)
- Dittman, Kevin C. (October 1998). “Using the Unified Modeling Language (UML) as a Standard in the Information Technology Curriculum,”. 1998 International Association for Computer Information Systems Conference Cancun, Mexico: IACIS. (addendum pp. 15-21)..)
- Kevin C. Dittman (October 1998). “A Framework for Integrating the UML in an Undergraduate Object-Oriented Analysis & Design Course,” . OOPSLA Vancouver, BC: ACM.
- Langley, H.* & Dittman, Kevin. C. (2001). Determining whether an implementation support center is needed for your enterprise wide application. . 2001 Managing Information Technology in a Global Economy Association (IRMA) International Conference (pp.562-564). Toronto, Canada: IRMA. (Proceedings ISBN 1930708076, 9781930708075.)
- Lineberger, R.* & Dittman, Kevin. C. (Nov 2001). The blur box: A conceptual model for understanding iterative development.. PMI 2001 - First to the Future Symposium Nashville, TN: PMI. (CD-ROM, Paper No. IS-06.)
- Smoak, T.* & Dittman, Kevin C. (2001). A survey of assessment mechanisms for continuous process improvement of IT curriculums. . 2001 International Association for Computer Information Systems Conference Cincinati, OH: ISECON. (Proceedings of ISECON 2001, v 18 (Cincinnati): §13a..)
- Secrest, A.* & Dittman, Kevin C. (October 2002). “Project management - challenges of web design teams”.. 2002 PMI Global Congress San Antonio, TX: Project Management Institute. (CD-ROM, Paper No. IS-07.)
- Lorenz*, L & Dittman Kevin. C. (October 2004). Project managers overall leadership skills to be successful. Journal of College Teaching and Learning October, FL: The Clute Institute for Academic Research., 1 No. 9, 55-61. (ISBN # 1544-0389.)
- Lorenz*, L & Dittman Kevin. C. (Jan 2004). Project managers overall leadership skills to be successful.. 2004 College Teaching & Learning Conference Orlando, FL: The Clute Institute for Academic Research. (CD-ROM, Paper No. 415 - Awarded Best Paper of Program.)
- Brewer, Jeff, Dittman, Kevin C., & Ghatge, G. (2005). A study of software methodology analysis: “great taste or less filling” . Information Systems Educators Conference Columbus, OH: Association for Information Technology Professionals Foundation for Information Technology Education.. (In The Proceedings of ISECON 2005, v 22 (Columbus OH): §2153. ISSN: 1542-7382..)
- Williams*, D & Dittman Kevin C. (January 2005). Beyond Software Development – An Argument for Ethical and Legal Issues In Higher Education. 2005 College Teaching & Learning Conference Orlando, FL: The Clute Institute for Academic Research. ([CD-ROM, Paper No. 127].)
- Brewer, Jeff & Dittman Kevin C. (January 2006). Meeting the Challenges of Today’s IT Labor Demands by Building a Better Prepared Student thru Targeted Curricula Enhancements. 2006 College Teaching & Learning Conference (pp.CD ROM). Orlando, FL: The Clute Institute for Academic Research. (Awarded Best Paper of Program.)
- Zadik, Joe. & Dittman, Kevin C. (January 2008). Employers Beware: Degrees and Certifications don’t guarantee the quality of an information technology applicant. . 2008 College Teaching & Learning Conference (pp.CD ROM). Orlando, Fl: The Clute Institute for Academic Research. (Awarded Best Paper of Program.)
- Kevin Dittman (February 2012). Structuring Information Technology to Maximize Business Value. Manufacturer’s Association of Plastic Processors Indianapolis, IN. (Keynote address.)
- Bunton, Thomas E., and Kevin C. Dittman (January 2012). Application Of McClelland’s Theory Of Needs To IT Project Management And The Millennial. International Academic Conference Orlando, FL. (ISSN 1539-8757 (print); 2157-9660 (online).)
- Dittman, Kevin. C. (1998, October). “Workshop: Using The Unified Modeling Language (UML) in Object-Oriented Analysis & Design Education,”. ISECON,
- Dittman, Kevin C. (1997, October). Workshop: Using Use Case Modeling In Teaching Object Oriented Systems Analysis,”. ISECON,
- Dittman, Kevin C. (1996, October). “Workshop: Using System Architect for Object-Oriented Analysis and Design Education,”. National Meeting of Decision Sciences Institute,
- Brown, David, (2002) Object-Oriented Analysis Wiley. (Proposal)
- Bahrami, A., (1998) Object-oriented systems development: A unified approach. Homewood, IL: Irwin/McGraw-Hill. (ISBN13: 9780256253481 ISBN10: 025625348X Division: Higher Education Pub Date: DEC-98 Pages: 432)
1984-1994 - Lockheed Martin (Martin Marietta),
Manager (• Managed development and support of mainframe, client/server, and micro business applications.)
1982-1985 - Caterpillar
Programmer/Analyst (• Development and support of mainframe business and manufacturing applications. • Supervisor of second shift computer operations. )
1981-1982 - Cummins Engine
Programmer (• Development and support of mainframe business applications)
Principle Consultant, Cook Medical, 2011-present
Project Management, Systems Engineering and Training
Course Reviewer, Laureate Eduction, 2010-2011
Provided subject matter expertise in reviewing course content.
Faculty Director of Software Engineering, Dynamic Systems, 1999-2001
Provide leadership and guidance in the activities of software development and process definition for large biomedical clients.
Performed requirements analysis for external clients and project planning.
Principle Consultant , Lockheed Martin, 1995-2011
Provide system, process, quality, & software Engineering activities on Network Access Control program & Assured Identity program • Core team member in developing enterprise IT directives • Provide Strategic planning for J2EE and .NET architecture adoption • Project Management • Provide leadership in the effort to adopt the SEI CMM model for systems development. • Provide Object Mentoring using use case modeling and UML on Intranet development projects and ERP projects. Training. • Developed internal methodology for use in OO projects. • Lead requirements engineering and assist management in project planning. • Conducted UML and Object-Oriented Methods Training
Consultant, Purdue University (Business Division), 1995-1996
Worked with university business division in developing a student tracking system using use case modeling, OMT, and Smalltalk.
- SIGITE, 2011-Present