Joe Fuehne is the Director and Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering Technology at the Purdue Polytechnic Institute in Columbus. He earned a BS degree in Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering from the University of Illinois and MS and PhD degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M University. He is a registered Professional Engineer in both Texas and Indiana. He has industrial experience in the aerospace, oil, and automotive industries and has been at Purdue since 2002.
Professional Engineer, Texas, 1992, #72753
Professional Engineer, Indiana, 1998, #19800314
- Fuehne, J. P. (2008). Case Study: University-Industry Partnership to Educate Calibration Technicians and Improve Data Quality. The Journal for Quality and Participation, 31, 2, 27 - 30.(3) Dues*, J., Fuehne*, J., Cooley, T., Denton, N., and Kraebber, H. (2008, in press). Assessment for continuous improvement: embedding it in the culture. Journal of Engineering Technology (JET), 28-2, 20 p.(5) Fuehne*, J.P., and Engblom, J.J. (1992). A finite element / penalty function method for computing stresses near debonds. AIAA Journal, 30, 1625 – 1631.
- Fuehne*, J.P., and Engblom, J.J. (1989). A shear-deformable, doubly-curved finite element for the analysis of laminated composite structures. Composite Structures, 12, 81 – 95. DOI: 10.1016/0263-8223(89)90083-4.
- Engblom*, J.J., Fuehne, J.P., and Hamdallah, J.M. (1989) Transverse stress calculations for laminated composite shell structures using plate/shell finite element formulations”, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 8, 446 – 457. DOI: 10.1177/073168448900800503.
- Fuehne*, J., and Baird, K. (2008). A Multi-Disciplinary Summer Camp: LEGO™ Mindstorms for Students and Teachers. the Technology Interface, Submitted October 7, 2008, Under Review.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Fuehne, J. (2010). Integrating mechatronics into an engineering technology curriculum. Proceedings of the 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Fuehne, J. (2010). The Boiler Tech Challenge: A fun competition and recruiting tool for engineering technology programs. Proceedings of the 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Fuehne, J. (2010). Developing a system approach for the engineering technology classroom. Proceedings of the 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Fuehne, J. (2010). Virtual lab activities for a distance course in fluid power. Proceedings of the 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Fuehne, J. (2008). Integrating Virtual Lab Simulation Software into an MET Program. Proceedings of the 2008 NAIT-IJME Conference, Nashville, Tennessee. Also being considered for re-publication in a refereed international IAJC journal such as the International Journal of Modern Engineering or the Technology Interface.Fuehne, J. (2008). Evolution of an Engineering Technology Outreach Program. Proceedings of the 2008 ASEE Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Denton*, N., Kraebber*, H., Fuehne, J., Cooley, T., and Dues, J. (2007). The TC2K visit is done – now what?. Proceedings of the 2007 ASEE Annual Conference, Honolulu, HI, 9 p. Retrieve from http://www.asee.org/acPapers/AC%202007Full1687.pdf.
- Fuehne, J. (2006). Embedding multiple assessments in classroom activities. Proceedings of the 2006 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, No. IMECE2006-13947, Presented November, 2006.
- Fuehne*, J., and Lenart, D. (2005). Technology-hospital collaboration in thermodynamics: Experience with actual student projects. Proceedings of ASEE Annual Conference: The Changing Landscape of Engineering and Technology Education, Portland, Oregon. Retrieve from http://www.asee.org/acPapers/2005-298_Final.pdf.
- Ratcliff*, M. and Fuehne, J. (2006). Partnering with a neighborhood association to bring technology to as-risk urban students. Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois. Retrieve from http://www.asee.org/acPapers/code/getPaper.cfm?paperID=11237&pdf=2006Ful....
- Fuehne*, J., and Phillips, J. (2004). Introducing technology using LEGOs to at-risk and minority elementary students. Proceedings of ASEE Annual Conference: Engineering Education Reaches New Heights, Salt Lake City, Utah. Retrieve from http://www.asee.org/acPapers/2004-923_Final.pdf.
- Fuehne*, J., Taylor, W., Kim, J. and Lee, J.K. (2000). A predictive model for catalytic converter mat material, Proceedings of the Society of Automotive Engineers Congress, Detroit, Michigan.
- Fuehne*, J. and Engblom, J. (1991). A finite element / penalty function method for computing stresses near debonds. Proceedings of the 32nd SDM Conference, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Fuehne*, J. and Engblom, J. (1989). A shear deformable finite element penalty formulation for predicting transverse shear stresses in thick composite structures. Proceedings of the 4th Technical Conference on Composite Materials, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Fuehne*, J. and Tippey, D. (1983). Noseboom position error prediction data base update. Proceedings of the 14th Annual Symposium of the Society of Flight Test Engineers, Newport Beach, California.