Dr. Jose Garcia graduated with PhD and MSc. degrees from the Agricultural and Biological Engineering (ABE) department at Purdue University West Lafayette. He worked as a Research Assistant Professor at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) from 2011 to 2012. While at IIT, he started a fluid power laboratory for instructional and research use and was teaching and developing the curriculum for engineering courses in fluid power and data acquisition and instrumentation. Dr. Garcia authored funded proposals for research in fluid power and tribology.
As a graduate student at Purdue he was involved in several local and statewide recruitment events, where he was able to develop short workshops in fluid power and STEM fields for promoting the department among middle and high school students. Additionally, he has relevant mentoring experience with undergraduate students (18+ students). He was recognized in 2009 with the “Graduate Student Mentor of the Summer” award and nominated for the same award in 2010. His most significant contribution to outreach and education in engineering was his involvement in the design of a robotic water hydraulic arm for fluid power instruction in the classroom.
At the present his current research in fluid power focuses on electric-hydraulic hybrid vehicles, and the application of hydraulic drive-trains for middle and small sized wind power turbines. He is also working on the development of a new generation of hydraulic components and systems that can operate using environmentally friendlier fluids. Dr. Garcia has plans to actively continue the development of practical teaching tools that bring industry applications to the classroom.
Purdue University, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, West Lafayette, IN
- Doctor of Philosophy, Engineering; Fluid Power Specialization, May 2011
Purdue University, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, West Lafayette, IN
- Master of Science in Engineering, December 2006
Purdue University, Foreign Languages and Literature, West Lafayette, IN
- Master of Arts; Teaching of Spanish, December 2004
Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, September 2002
Certified Fluid Power Hydraulic Specialist
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Garcia,J., Martini,A., “Measured and Predicted Static Friction for Real Rough Surfaces in Point Contact”, ASME Journal of Tribology, Vol. 134. July, 2012. 031501 DOI: 10.1115/1.4006917
- Michael,P., Garcia,J., Bair,S., Devlin,M., Martini,A., “Lubricant chemistry and rheology effects on hydraulic motor starting efficiency”, Tribology Transactions, 55-5, pp 549-557, 2012. DOI: 10.1080/10402004.2012.680208
- Garcia,J., Lumkes,J., Heckaman,B., Martini,A., "Viscosity dependence of static friction in lubricated metallic line contacts", Tribology Transactions, 54-3,pp. 333-340, 2011.DOI: 10.1080/10402004.2010.542278.
Garcia-Bravo, J., Ayala-Garcia, I., & Cepeda-Aguilar‡, J., “Variable Ratio Hydrostatic Transmission Simulator for Optimal Wind Power Drivetrains,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, vol. 2017, Article ID 5651736, 9 pages, 2017. http://doi:10.1155/2017/5651736
Niu, G*., Shang, F., Krishnamurthy, M., Garcia-Bravo, J. (2017). Design and Analysis of an Electric Hydraulic Hybrid Powertrain in Electric Vehicles. IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, 3(1), 48-57.
Lucietto, A. M., Moss, J., Garcia, J., Lumkes, J. H. Gender Differences in Workshops Designed to Increase Interest in Fluid Power. Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering. (In review, December 2017).
Solorio, J., Garcia-Bravo, J., Newell, B., “Voice Activated Robotics Application Using Off the Shelf Home Automation Components”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal. (In review, November 2017)
Articles in Conference Proceedings
Leon, J., Garcia, J., Gonzalez, A. (2017)., A Fuzzy Logic Controller for a Hydrostatic Transmission for an Electric Hybrid Bus in Bogotá, Colombia, Accepted June 30, 2017, Transactions of The Symposium of Fluid Power and Motion Control, October 2017.
Leon, J., Garcia, J., Acero, M., Gonzalez, A. (2016)., "Case Study of an Electric-Hydraulic Hybrid Propulsion System for a Heavy Duty Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8112, 2016, http://doi:10.4271/2016-01-8112
Newell, B., Garcia, J., Krutz G., Harmayer, K., (2016)., “Industrial Capacitance Sensors and Actuators,” IEEE FTC 2016 - Future Technologies Conference 2016 6-7 December 2016, San Francisco, United States.
- Garcia, J., Homkes, R., Carnes, M., & Taylor, K. (2015). Lessons Learned from Team-Teaching a PBL Robotics Course with Multi-Disciplinary Instructors and Students. In 2015 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition Proceedings (pp. 26.1086.1–26.1086.9). ASEE Conferences. http://doi.org/10.18260/p.24423
- Kuleshov, A., Garcia, J., Lumkes, J., (2014)“Low cost water/air hydraulic trainer and curriculum for K-12 students”. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition June 15-18, 2014, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
- Pindera, M.Z., Sun, Y., Malosse, J-J, Garcia J., (2013), “Co-Simulation Based Design and Experimental Validation Of Control Strategies For Digital Fluid Power Systems”, FPMC2013-4489, Proceedings Of The ASME/BATH 2013 Symposium on Fluid Power & Motion Control FPMC2013 October 6-9, 2013, Sarasota, Florida, USA
- Garcia, J., Martini, A. and Lumkes, J., “Static friction characterization of metallic contacts with hydraulic fluids”, Proceedings of the 52nd national conference on Fluid Power, Las Vegas, NV, USA, March 21-22, 2011
- Garcia, J., Krutz, G. and Lumkes, J., "Self-Propelled Water Hydraulics Vehicle", Proceedings of the 10th Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, Tampere, Finland, May 21-23, 2007.
- Yang, Z., Krishnamurthy, M., Garcia J., “Modeling and Control of a Continuously Variable Planetary Transmission for a Small Wind Turbine Drivetrain”, (SMASIS 2013), Proceedings of the ASME 2013 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems, Snowbird UT, September 16-18, 2013.
- M. Alvarez, H. Cease, B. Flaugher, R. Flores, J. Garcia, A. Lathrop, and F. Ruiz., “The Development of a Cryogenic Over-Pressure Pump”, 2013 Cryogenic Engineering Conference and International Cryogenic Materials Conference., Anchorage, Alaska. June 17 – 21, 2013.
- Sun, Y., Garcia, J., Krishnamurthy, M. “A novel fixed displacement Electric-Hydraulic Hybrid (EH2) drivetrain for city vehicles”, Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), 2013 IEEE, Detroit, Michigan, June 16-19, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/ITEC.2013.6574499
- Mishler, L., Garcia, J. and Lumkes, J., “Engaging Pre-College Students in Engineering Using Hands-on Micro- Processor Controlled Portable Fluid Power Demonstrators”, ASABE Annual International Meeting, Louisville, Kentucky, August 8-10, 2011. Paper No. 1111500
- Garcia, J., Martini, A., and Lumkes, J., "Experimental Measurements of Static Friction for Line Contacts at High Speed Step Inputs ", Proceedings of the 6th FPNI PhD Symposium, West Lafayette, IN, USA, June 15-19 2010.
- Michael, P., Burgess, K., Martini, A., Garcia, J., Bair, S., “Lubricant effects in hydraulic motor staring efficiency”, Proceedings of the STLE/ASME 2010 International Joint Tribology Conference. San Francisco, CA, October 17-20, 2010.
Garcia, J., Michael, P., & Johnson, J. (2015). Toward the Development of a Pump Energy Rating System based upon Performance Indexes. In 2015 Fluid Power Innovation & Research Conference (FPIRC15) (pp. 1–5). Chicago, IL.
Garcia, J., (2017). Select the Right Hydraulic Component Using Hydraulic Pump & Motor ISO Standards (pp. 14-15). Palmer, PA. Innovative Designs & Publishing, INC: Fluid Power Journal. www.FLUIDPOWERJOURNAL.com
International Organization for Standardization, (2016). Garcia, J., (Chair of Sub-Committee and editor) “ISO 4409 Hydraulic fluid power — Positive- displacement pumps, motors and integral transmissions — Methods of testing and presenting basic steady state performance” 2015 Revision (CD Ballot 4409-2 Approved for DIS July, 2016)
International Organization for Standardization, (2016). Garcia, J., (Chair of Sub-Committee and editor) “Proposed New Standard Energy rating indices for fluid power pumps and motors” 2016 (New Work Item Proposal Form 4 submitted January 25, 2016)
- Garcia. J., Krishnamurthy. M., (2014) “Electric-Hydraulic Drivetrain for City Vehicle: A novel Approach to On-Board Energy Storage”, IEEE Transportation Electrification Initiative, Submitted, January 20, 2014.
- Garcia, J., Mishler, L., Lumkes, J., “Dig this Hydraulic/Pneumatic robot backhoe”, Robot Magazine, Dec. 3, 2010, No. 28.
- Garcia, J., Martini,A., and Lumkes, J., “Experimental Measurement of Surface and Fluid Effects on Static Friction for Metal Contacts” Tribology & Lubrication Technology (TLT) Magazine. March 2010, Vol. 66, No. 3.