Building Information Modeling Degree
Combining graphics expertise with broad construction knowledge, building information modeling (BIM) is helping to revolutionize the architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) industry through its transformative and collaborative approach.
When you major in building information modeling (sometimes called “BIM modeling”) at Purdue University, you’ll gain skills that will help a construction team create detailed designs and documentation. The 3D computer model is at the heart of BIM. Once you have created a model using BIM software like AutoCAD or Revit, you can view the structure from inside specific rooms, from any angles, and even with different materials such as brick or siding. You will learn about a wide range of topics necessary in the field, such as carpentry, steel, and plumbing and electrical trades. On the job, your work will be used by design teams and project managers to assist in every step of the construction process, from material selection to estimating.
This major includes courses in computer graphics, programming, and construction materials and methods, and you will have opportunities to research and test new technologies and materials. In our building information modeling degree program, you will continuously learn new technologies, processes, workflows and protocols within AEC.
- Benefit from faculty experience in BIM-related careers.
- Network with successful alumni who work for top companies in the construction industry.
- Gain industry-standard experience in labs and facilities with the latest BIM technologies and collaborate with your peers on group projects.
- Improve your career prospects with real-world BIM research projects for industry clients.
- Prepare for certification tests for Revit, AutoCAD and Blue Beam software.
- Learn outside the classroom through student groups like the Purdue University Building Information Modeling Club.