Mechanical Engineering Technology Degree
This major is also available at the Purdue in Indianapolis campus. Learn more here.
The careers of Purdue graduates take them to a variety of employers (e.g. Rockwell Automation, Fender Guitars, Lockheed Martin, Caterpillar). Yet they have many skills in common: problem-solving, leadership and teamwork. The program focuses on the methods, materials, machinery and manpower necessary to effectively operate in a manufacturing environment. You'll learn how to manage people, machines, and production resources to ensure maximum efficiency and safety.
Areas of emphasis include advanced material processes, sustainable energy, and product realization.
The degree is Engineering Technology, the career is engineering.™
- Prepares graduates for careers in product improvement, industrial processes plant operations, and entrepreneurial endeavors
- Learn communication skills that allow you to interact with technical and non-technical colleagues
- Benefit from faculty experience in industrial careers
- Participate in applied research projects with professors to gain experience solving real-world technical problems
- Rising sophomores, juniors and seniors majoring in Mechanical Engineering Technology may be eligible for the Kiewit Scholars program, which awards annual scholarships and provides personal and professional growth opportunities for future leaders in the design and construction industry.
- Degree in 3: Highly motivated and hard-working students can earn their degree in three years with an accelerated plan of study. Learn more about Degree in 3 for this major.
- Two degrees in five years: earn your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in only five years with a special plan of study.
- Utilize the Polytechnic learning environment to become a career-ready graduate
- If you participated in PROJECT LEAD THE WAY courses during high school, you can redeem up to 12 credit hours toward this major.