Unmanned Aerial Systems Degree
Drones, or unmanned aircraft, will be soon be part of everyday life. Companies who adopt the technology will need experts to help them navigate flight paths as well as rules and regulations. A major in unmanned aerial systems (UAS) will equip you to be a leader in this new career field. In fact, the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International believes 70,000 new jobs will be created within three years after unmanned aircrafts are integrated into the U.S. airspace system.
This major examines the entire unmanned aerial system. You will learn about the different aircraft, how they are made and how they work. You will explore how they fit into the larger aviation system, including safety policies and regulations. Most exciting, professors believe, is the exploration of the possibilities for unmanned aircraft. They are already in use for agricultural, scientific and military purposes. You will research more creative uses for your project-based final capstone experience.
- Learn about the entire unmanned aerial system, including how to fly the aircraft
- Gain experience through data collection on research projects for various industries.
- Qualify for certification as an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) operator.
- Strengthen teamwork skills as you work with students and professors from a variety of majors in professional flight, airline management and operations, aviation management and more.
- Study at an aviation school with the country’s first university-owned airport with the state’s second busiest air traffic control tower. The Purdue University Airport gives Purdue students an opportunity for real-time immersion in an aviation setting.
- Engage with industry on a regular basis and be considered for their internships and other placement opportunities. Beyond Purdue University and Polytechnic career fairs, unmanned aerial systems majors can take advantage of an annual career fair planned for all students in the School of Aviation and Transportation Technology.
- Utilize the Polytechnic learning environment to become a career-ready graduate